Cub Cadet RT65 Problem

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #1  

Darkember33

Tractor
Cub Cadet
I have had this for two years w/o a problem and even used it earlier this year with no trouble, but when I attempted to use it yesterday, the pull start seemed to get "stuck". I tried engaging the drive and pushing it in an attempt to move the position of the piston, but it is still stuck. Any ideas?

If it helps I have the Honda GC190 engine.

Thanks!

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #2  
Is anything stuck under the mower? Maybe pop the self-propel belt off to make sure it's nothing binding up with the drive mechanism.

Joel

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem
Yeah, I've checked the tines and they spin freely, also the drive belt sits loose on it's pulleys.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #4  
I'd check for mud dabber or mouse nests in the pull start recoil housing.

HondaRecoil.jpg

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem
I tried taking apart the 'puller' and all looks well there. Since the piston feels like it is the problem, I removed the spark plug and tried the pull and it is fine. I put the plug back in and the same thing happens. How does one address a compression problem?

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #7  
Maybe the exhaust/muffler is clogged. I've had mud dabber wasps build nests in them before and cause problems like this on my grass trimmer.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #8  
I just looked at the parts breakdown for your Honda engine and it has a timing belt to drive the overhead camshaft. If the belt broke or jumped time it would cause either the valves to not open or open at the wrong time.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem
That would explain why it worked before lunch and after lunch gave me fits. Would that explain why it pulls proper w/o the spark plug?

Also, how screwed am I if this is the issue. I know for cars it is a death sentence...

Thank you all for your advice, it has made pulling my hair out a more pleasurable experience.

/ Cub Cadet RT65 Problem #10  
Yes without the spark plug when the piston comes up the air can escape. If it out of time with the plug in place the valves don't open at the proper time and it makes it hard to turn over. I don't know much about small Honda engines but I doubt its like the car engines that the valves hit the pistons with the timing belt breaks.