Help - purchase decision

/ Help - purchase decision #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
Hi all. I thought buying a ZTR would fund and exciting. It turning into a real challange to compare machines.

Yesterday I was already to buy a CC Tank 48" with a Briggs engine. I met a buddy of mine this morning who had just bought a Ferris 3100 with 60" cut. He said that the suspension was great.

These two machines are not apples to apples comparison $7K for the CC and $11K for the Ferris.

To get the Ferris into the same price range you really end up with an entry level machine - front suspension is not independant, it seemed like most of the machine is lighter. I thought it was closer to low end professional Toro.

Whereas the CC Tank seems to be a pretty good machine but I don't have a local dealer to check it out.

I looking for a quality machine, low maintenance and logivity. For the ZTR's I have noted that tires are issues, air filtration system, hydraulics, deck leveling question, greasing, etc.

What are your thoughts? The Tank lists everything but are the things accessible and functional?

I don't think the cut with the Ferris will be that much better than the Tank?

Thanks in advance

Garth

/ Help - purchase decision #2  
I do not know either of the mowers you are describing but I know I looked long and hard and have had my Deines for 15 years now and am extremely happy with it. Features that I think are important - flip up deck so that is is easy to clean (otherwise it won't get cleaned and will rust much faster plus not do as nice of job), minimum parts to go bad (a ZTR is a pretty simple machine - power to the pumps and the blades), standard parts (many mower companies go out of business and this is a twenty year purchase), if you have hilly terrain v-bar tires (they do not come in all sizes so you can't just change them out), front deck (reaches under things much better so less trimming and you can stay away from tree branches much better - my apple trees are a pain but I can do it with the front deck and couldn't with a mid-deck), anti-scalp rollers on deck which also help to stripe if you like that look, and lights.
The Deines has a Kohler engine, Sundstrand hydros like Deere, Toro and others, and many other standard parts - i.e. drive chains, belts,etc. The best part about it is that you should be able to get a 60" for what you are talking a 48" (and you will appreciate that) and the parts are mail order and they are very reasonable. I often buy my filters and such from them because they are cheaper than the local TSC. Furthermore after 15 years I can vouch for them, absolutely no issues other than tires dry-rotting, blades wearing out, and one set of drive chains wearing out because I let them get loose. Other than that a couple of batteries but that is very low cost for 15 years and I mow about 6 acres some of which is very steep.

/ Help - purchase decision
Interesting mower. Moving the power wheels to the front likely gives you the ability to do the hills. I need a narrower deck as we built a number of tree beds too close together. I have a 72" finishing mower on my Kubota tractor that I just can't do a great job around the beds - as such <50" is likely the best. I'm impressed with the lifespan that you have achieved - obviously you look after it. Nowadays it seems like 5 or 7 years is useful life unless you enjoy doing the repairs. Interesting that Deines has a dealer not too far from us - I've heard of them but never talked to them.

Thankyou for an interesting post.

Garth

Well after researching way too much, I think the conclusion is that a Cub is the best for the value.

It looks like the major differences of the mid-market ZTR's is the engine, type of spindles, the air filtration system, hydraulics (primary two systems), tires, seat design and some of the design of the frame.

It seems like most warranty the frame for life so I bet that is not much of a difference.

The hydraulics (I don't have much knowledge in the area) seem to be pretty close other than the cooling systems. For a smaller acreage owner using it for a few hours at a time, I suspect most them will work well.

Spindles appear to be cast aluminum for the smaller blades and cast iron with the larger ones. Most seem to the same.

Tires are the big difference, but I don't see the recommending max grade is not directly connected to the tire size. The main differences seem to be based on 4 wheel steering or 4 wheel drive.

Seats are a major difference. They vary from a full air suspension system (like semi trucks), to some isolation, better seat design or just a basic seat. At 10 mph or long days his will be a major difference. Not likely a major cost difference but it is a major marketing issue.

Engine power and longevity is a big issue. I think most will be spec'd well at the beginning but the maintenance and the effectiveness of things like filters will be significant. The engine is at the back so it will be dusty, the air filter has to stop or minimize the dirt, the oil needs to deal with the particles that get through and the oil filter will need to good. More than regular oil changes will be very important.

Other maintenance like grease will be important but this is a given for acreage owners.

How all of the components work together will likely be the most difficult to assess. It is a tough measure but hopefully organizations like Consumer reports have done a good job. They certainly likely the low end Cubs.

There are certainly some interesting designs - Kubota using a PTO, Ferris independent wheel suspension, the huge fans on the Ferris transmission / hydraulic systems. If I had more money it would be nice to try some of these.

I will try to find a good Cub, likely will be new.

Garth

/ Help - purchase decision #5  
If you have a bumpy field or yard to cut the Ferris will smooth it out when cutting with the full suspension. We have 10 acres to cut and when you can run the machine at 10mph (full speed) that cuts your work time down considerably. The Ferris we bought was the IS2000 model with the Kawasaki engine. They really are a nice machine and worth the money if your yard is seriously bumpy.

Steve

The 2000 was my choice, the 1500 and 500 seemed pretty light duty. The 2000 on the other hand had all of the capability that Ferris had become known for. Unfortunately the price is over $10K in Canada whereas the Cub Tank LX is around $7.5K.

If I had the extra, I do think the Ferris would be a better machine, we too have moles in our adjoining land so always get them in our open field, fortunately I have a 6' finishing mower behind my Kubota tractor. The yard area is still a few bumps but not too bad. I think the Ferris would make a nicer cut.

/ Help - purchase decision #7  
kill the grubs in your yard - that's what moles munch on.