3000 Series..... Lazy PTO

/ 3000 Series..... Lazy PTO #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
My 2003 3000 Series PTO is lazy, and sometimes won't engage , or disengage.
This only happens at the initial start up of tractor for mowing.
If I walk away from tractor , while it is running , and wait about 3 minutes.... mower will engage....
but if I need to dis - engage... it will also take its own time to do so.
2 seasons ago I replaced all switches ... I did not replace vacuum box, or
vacuum solenoid switch...... as they seemed to be ok.
I am writing to this list , because there must be someone on this list who owns
an old 3000 series and has had this problem.
I do have a new solenoid vacuum switch I ordered a few seasons back , and never installed ,
so if the current one is faulty I can pop this in.... just thought someone on this list has seen this condition.
Yesterday when I mowed all was ok... but it seems the longer the tractor sits.. the PTO gets lazy to engage.
Thanks,
Pete

/ 3000 Series..... Lazy PTO #2  
My ignition had to be replaced and now mine does the same though not as bad. I had to replace my vacuum switch last year. I have found that it engages faster if I don't turn key to reverse setting. If you get a fix please let us know

/ 3000 Series..... Lazy PTO
My ignition had to be replaced and now mine does the same though not as bad. I had to replace my vacuum switch last year. I have found that it engages faster if I don't turn key to reverse setting. If you get a fix please let us know

I can almost understand the delay in engagement of the PTO if the solenoid , vacuum switch was sticking....
but when power is cut to solenoid switch after PTO dash switch is pushed in OFF position....
how does solenoid stay engaged with no power to it ?
That led me to believe power is still being supplied to solenoid vacuum switch , after power is turned off from dash switch.
Dash switch is new 2 seasons ago....so I doubt it is worn out.

/ 3000 Series..... Lazy PTO #4  
Had the same problem with mine. Had to verify amount of vacuum available from engine, needs 10" or better to engage and stay engaged. I replaced the vacuum solenoid and still was slow to operate. Replaced the vacuum check valve and vacuum lines to engine. Problem was solved.