Cub Cadet 124 engine exchange question

/ Cub Cadet 124 engine exchange question #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I have a Cub 124 with a rototiller attachment that has a Kohler 12 HP K301. The engine has been dismantled and the crank shaft was miced out to 10under and I was able to get a connecting rod at 20 over. Local machine shop will take the crank down to 20 under for me. The cam shaft was worn badly but i found a replacement reasonably and the cams are excellent and not worn or scored. Also got the entire gasket set as well as tune up kit. My engine repair guy is taken ill (happens repeatedly) but when he is well, an excellent engine repair guy, but I have to be patient. Right now it hurts because I need to rototill down the weeds between my rows of vegetables and my lower back not happy with using my walk behinds.

Question: I came across a Kohler 14HP K321A sn 2016613 sp no 6099A with a horizontal shaft that is in running condition. Can I replace my K301 with this K321A without modification to the mounts etc.? Also will the added 2 horsepower help the rototiller work load?

Thank You for your patience for this total amateur. 104 F here in NW Ohio today, so I decided not to pull weeds. I am praying for rain for all the grain farmers everywhere in this great country.

/ Cub Cadet 124 engine exchange question #2  
I can't give you a direct answer because i don't have specifics on the spec. number. your 124 is a narrow frame and one narrow frame model the 147 did have a 14 HP engine however the frame on the 147 was modified to accept the larger flywheel housing that is on that 14 HP engine. Besides having to probably alter the frame rails you would also need to check for same size and length of the engine crankshaft of the donor engine as the PTO clutch fits on the end of it or is suppose too. I believe that you or in for a lot of work but it can be done. I had a narrow frame model a 123 that someone had installed a 14 HP engine and had done a sloppy job on the frame modification and I changed it back to a stock K301 engine and it was a big job as I was trying to restore the tractor. I would find a rebuilt engine as You can sink a lot of money into a Kohler rebuild especially with original parts. I spent over $300.00 rebuilding a K 161 7 HP and I did the labor myself except for machine shop work.