Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

Default GT2544 PTO always engaged

The PTO is always on. Got it started a couple times due to immediate need for the tractor. Kept PTO switch in off position and once the PTO actually did eventually disengage (slowly) and then started operating normally with the PTO on/off switch. Shut the machine down and the condition returned. So after troubleshooting a little and some ohm checks...terminals on top of PTO (naturally with the wires unplugged) is a dead short 0 ohms. Is it normal for the PTO to have 0 ohms across it's terminals when unplugged? Also tried starting tractor while the PTO was disconnected, PTO was still engaged and spun with engine however...engine never started (I assume because of the load with the pto being on)? So...fortunately for me and my bad luck...my PTO is the more expensive one so I figured before I dropped the $$$ I'd ask you forum members for confirmation of my beliefs that the PTO is bad. Any help?

Platinum Member

Default Re: GT2544 PTO always engaged

with PTO switch off and spark plug wires removed, crank engine. If mower deck blades start to turn when engine is cranking, PTO itself is the likely problem... as the PTO release bearing is seizing up and not allowing PTO pulley to freewheel...

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

thanks!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Gt2550

Been thinking about this disengaged should be normal , engaged is operational , like a air conditioner clutch.
    So it does sound like something is wrong with the clutch for it to be stuck in operational mode , like the other post said "seized maybe"
    Try a squirt of WD40 into the centre of the clutch and let soak for a while it may release
    My Wife said I do not listen
    At least I think thats what she said

Platinum Member

would not recommend the wd 40 - good chance of it migrating out onto the deck belt and then another prob to deal with, imho.

Typically, the idler bearing within the pulley goes bad and then seizes up, locking PTO pulley to engine crankshaft full time. By leaving PTO switch off, cranking engine with plug wires pulled and observing PTO pulley/belt for movement will quickly confirm lockup. Biggest prob then are the replacement $$$ and getting the PTO clutch assy off the crankshaft (often rusted tight & takes an impact wrench to break retaining bolt loose).

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

Once again thanks for info. No visible rust on machine anywhere hopefully none hidden by clutch. Have impact wrench so no problem there either. I can't imagine it being anything other than being seized up. So clutch ordered. (pricey bugger) Now hopefully removal and install goes without problem. Thanks again!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by MbugsyR View Post
    Once again thanks for info. No visible rust on machine anywhere hopefully none hidden by clutch. Have impact wrench so no problem there either. I can't imagine it being anything other than being seized up. So clutch ordered. (pricey bugger) Now hopefully removal and install goes without problem. Thanks again!
    Try removing with a rachet and socket prior to using the impact wrench. If using an impact wrench be careful when installing and don't hammer to long. A half inch impact wrench can break or twist bolts.

Platinum Member

OP - agree with caution using impact wrench. Also, pay close attention to exactly how static (non-turning) part of PTO clutch pulley assy is anchored to frame - will prolly need to be indexed properly during re-assy. Great idea to take a cuppla pix of existing setup before tearing apart - great substitute for a perfect memory. Also note just how elect lead to clutch is routed/secured... last thing you want is for that to be hanging down and get caught by trash/etc.

BTW, any warranty left on that machine?
    Got yer manual ?

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 2544

Don't much care to use impact for installation. will probably try a careful breaker bar for removal first. Never removed one so I'm very careful...hence the posts haha...I always say without bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Bought machine in '05. That thing has pulled so much stone, rock, gravel, dirt...I'm surprised it never gave me the finger and said..."I'm done!" Had to replace a couple ball joints up forward and the cheap piece of metal for the brake safety switch...other than that the thing is a work horse with one eye...(head lights are a mess)

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Gt2550

rcbe . yeah I meant to say drop the belt off , would still try a squirt of WD40 before pulling apart , then switch on and off a few times with motor running
    That would be my starting point before moving to major surgery
    My Wife said I do not listen
    At least I think thats what she said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast