Electric PTO Problems

/ Electric PTO Problems #1  

bamaman01

Tractor
cub LT1042
Commercial Tank M48, when mowing for a while pto gets weak and stops. I have changed battery's and will work again for awhile, then the same happens. Bought a brand new battery, and after about 3 hours, started doing the same thing. I feel like it may be in the electrcal part of something on the mower but not sure. Can someone please advise?
Thanks in Advance.

/ Electric PTO Problems #2  
Commercial Tank M48, when mowing for a while pto gets weak and stops. I have changed battery's and will work again for awhile, then the same happens. Bought a brand new battery, and after about 3 hours, started doing the same thing. I feel like it may be in the electrcal part of something on the mower but not sure. Can someone please advise?
Thanks in Advance.

Have you checked the air gap on your clutch? To measure the air gap you will need to shut the engine off. Then lokk at the clutch assembly. There should be three or four slots in the side of the housing where you slip a feeler gauge between the clutch friction plates. This gap should be around .010 - 012 inch. If this gap gets to large it can cause the coil/solenoid to overheat which makes it weak and the clutch will slip or stop working. Unless protected by a circuit breaker or fuse it will eventually burn out.

Most electric clutches have three or four spring loaded nuts around the perimeter of the clutch. These are used to adjust the air gap. Turn each nut the same amount usually around 1/4 turn each until the desired air gap is achieved. With the mower engine off cycle the clutch on & off a couple times to check the air gap.

good luck

/ Electric PTO Problems #3  
Another thing that will weaken the current to the PTO is heat sink into the wires feeding it , insulate them

/ Electric PTO Problems #4  
I'd check to make sure it charging. Measure the battery voltage before starting it and then measure again with it running at fast speed. Voltage should be around 13.5-14.1 running.

/ Electric PTO Problems #5  
I have a JD LX178 that did the same thing. It was the air gap on the elec. pto. I turned the adjustment screws(or nuts, don't remember which) a half turn each and that fixed it.

/ Electric PTO Problems
Have you checked the air gap on your clutch? To measure the air gap you will need to shut the engine off. Then lokk at the clutch assembly. There should be three or four slots in the side of the housing where you slip a feeler gauge between the clutch friction plates. This gap should be around .010 - 012 inch. If this gap gets to large it can cause the coil/solenoid to overheat which makes it weak and the clutch will slip or stop working. Unless protected by a circuit breaker or fuse it will eventually burn out.

Most electric clutches have three or four spring loaded nuts around the perimeter of the clutch. These are used to adjust the air gap. Turn each nut the same amount usually around 1/4 turn each until the desired air gap is achieved. With the mower engine off cycle the clutch on & off a couple times to check the air gap.

good luck

Thanks to all who replied!!!! great advice! I found three slots but dont find the gap you are referring to. Im not very machanically minded but i just dont see a gap. it maybe i'm looking at the wrong thing.
"I know you can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

/ Electric PTO Problems
Thanks for all the replies!!!! However, I found three slots around the housing of the clutch but cannot find the slots. I may be looking at the wrong place I dont know. If I could find a picture of where the slots are then i think I could check the gaps.
Thanks again for your advice. i am not very machanically inclined as you probally found out, but if I see it I can fix it.

" You can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

good luck

/ Electric PTO Problems #8  
I don't have an electric clutch vehicle available to take a picture but if you can see the three slots try slipping a feeler gauge in between the plates. You normally can NOT see a gap due to the design of the clutches. Some times you have to wiggle the feeler gauge and move it it side to sie to get it to slide into the gap. Wish I could be of more help.

Roy

/ Electric PTO Problems
Thanks for all the replies!!!! However, I found three slots around the housing of the clutch but cannot find the slots. I may be looking at the wrong place I dont know. If I could find a picture of where the slots are then i think I could check the gaps.
Thanks again for your advice. i am not very machanically inclined as you probally found out, but if I see it I can fix it.

" You can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

good luck