Tractor
    cub LT1042

Default Electric PTO Problems

Commercial Tank M48, when mowing for a while pto gets weak and stops. I have changed battery's and will work again for awhile, then the same happens. Bought a brand new battery, and after about 3 hours, started doing the same thing. I feel like it may be in the electrcal part of something on the mower but not sure. Can someone please advise?
    Thanks in Advance.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Default Re: Electric PTO Problems

Quote Originally Posted by bamaman01 View Post
    Commercial Tank M48, when mowing for a while pto gets weak and stops. I have changed battery's and will work again for awhile, then the same happens. Bought a brand new battery, and after about 3 hours, started doing the same thing. I feel like it may be in the electrcal part of something on the mower but not sure. Can someone please advise?
    Thanks in Advance.
    Have you checked the air gap on your clutch? To measure the air gap you will need to shut the engine off. Then lokk at the clutch assembly. There should be three or four slots in the side of the housing where you slip a feeler gauge between the clutch friction plates. This gap should be around .010 - 012 inch. If this gap gets to large it can cause the coil/solenoid to overheat which makes it weak and the clutch will slip or stop working. Unless protected by a circuit breaker or fuse it will eventually burn out.

Most electric clutches have three or four spring loaded nuts around the perimeter of the clutch. These are used to adjust the air gap. Turn each nut the same amount usually around 1/4 turn each until the desired air gap is achieved. With the mower engine off cycle the clutch on & off a couple times to check the air gap.

good luck
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet Gt2550

Another thing that will weaken the current to the PTO is heat sink into the wires feeding it , insulate them
    My Wife said I do not listen
    At least I think thats what she said

I'd check to make sure it charging. Measure the battery voltage before starting it and then measure again with it running at fast speed. Voltage should be around 13.5-14.1 running.
    2006 Cub Cadet Z-Force50
    2000 John Deere LX178
    1974 SearsGT18 with 3 point,48"deck,Haban sickle mower and front dozer blade

2000 Bobcat 453F with steel tracks
    1954 Ford860 with front end loader, 5' brushhog
    1952 Allis Chalmers CA with Woods L59 mower
    1947 Case SC
    1998 Honda ACTY 4WD mini truck
    And too many other small engine tools to list

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT

I have a JD LX178 that did the same thing. It was the air gap on the elec. pto. I turned the adjustment screws(or nuts, don't remember which) a half turn each and that fixed it.

Tractor
    cub LT1042

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    Have you checked the air gap on your clutch? To measure the air gap you will need to shut the engine off. Then lokk at the clutch assembly. There should be three or four slots in the side of the housing where you slip a feeler gauge between the clutch friction plates. This gap should be around .010 - 012 inch. If this gap gets to large it can cause the coil/solenoid to overheat which makes it weak and the clutch will slip or stop working. Unless protected by a circuit breaker or fuse it will eventually burn out.

Most electric clutches have three or four spring loaded nuts around the perimeter of the clutch. These are used to adjust the air gap. Turn each nut the same amount usually around 1/4 turn each until the desired air gap is achieved. With the mower engine off cycle the clutch on & off a couple times to check the air gap.

good luck
    Thanks to all who replied!!!! great advice! I found three slots but dont find the gap you are referring to. Im not very machanically minded but i just dont see a gap. it maybe i'm looking at the wrong thing.
    "I know you can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

Tractor
    cub LT1042

Thanks for all the replies!!!! However, I found three slots around the housing of the clutch but cannot find the slots. I may be looking at the wrong place I dont know. If I could find a picture of where the slots are then i think I could check the gaps.
    Thanks again for your advice. i am not very machanically inclined as you probally found out, but if I see it I can fix it.

" You can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

good luck

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

I don't have an electric clutch vehicle available to take a picture but if you can see the three slots try slipping a feeler gauge in between the plates. You normally can NOT see a gap due to the design of the clutches. Some times you have to wiggle the feeler gauge and move it it side to sie to get it to slide into the gap. Wish I could be of more help.

Roy
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    cub LT1042

Thanks for all the replies!!!! However, I found three slots around the housing of the clutch but cannot find the slots. I may be looking at the wrong place I dont know. If I could find a picture of where the slots are then i think I could check the gaps.
    Thanks again for your advice. i am not very machanically inclined as you probally found out, but if I see it I can fix it.

" You can teach old dogs new tricks" (quote)

good luck