2185 Work in Progress

/ 2185 Work in Progress #1  

KBEAT

Bronze Member
This is the 2185 that I had gotten for a parts tractor. Once I got it home and used it a couple of times I couldn't bring my self to take parts off it so I am going to clean her up and make her like new. I couldn't believe the amount of dirt that accumulates in the hidden places until you open them up, i've half filled a Shop-Vac already. The front body panels had some bumps and bruises, so they have been fixed and repainted. The controls and steering have been all dis-assembled/cleaned/fixed/replaced as necessary. Surprised how good everything has been so far, other than rubber and plastic pieces they only really worn item was the steering gear and since that was splined I just flipped it over and it was as good as new. The seat mounting pads have a little crack, so I will get that welded and add the braces underneath. All in all it's a pretty well built machine for 16 years old, held up well. The last picture is of the LT2180 I had gotten earlier to replace my original LT1050 (That one is only 8 years old, a little touch-up here and there and it looks good), real happy with the trade so far. :D

Frame.JPGRearend.JPGFront.JPGPanels.JPGMower.JPGLT2180.JPG

/ 2185 Work in Progress #2  
I have a 1999 2185 with a 46in high lift deck (no assistance required to use triple bagger). It now has about 480hrs. (very well maintained) and it has been a good machine for me.

I by-passed the reverse mowing safety switch, and when the flimsy spring steel clip for the parking brake switch broke, I did not bother to replace.

I never took my tractor apart, so I was happy to see your pics.

Cheers,

/ 2185 Work in Progress
Updated pictures of the in-process work. Nearly ready to mount the deck again, but i'm waiting until I get a new hydro filter so I can change that out while I have the deck off. Not trying to make it new, just wanted to get all the rust off so it will last a while. Quite a difference from what it looked like when I got it :), now it's ready for another 16 years :D

Deck Edge.JPGDeck Front.JPGDeck Up.JPGNew Back.JPGNew Side.JPG

/ 2185 Work in Progress #4  
It looks as good as new.

/ 2185 Work in Progress #7  
Great job. Need a few more rebuild projects??:laughing:

/ 2185 Work in Progress
No, now my son in-law wants me to find one to fix up for him :laughing:. I just took the 2185 out on it's maiden voyage this week and I have to tell you, if I had to choose between the 2180 with 80 hours and the 16 year old 2185 it would be tough. That thing sure does run good, only thing I notice between the two is that the 2180 is alot faster than the 2185 (Even with the smaller tires the 2180 is a screamer) and the 2185 is harder to turn with the wider front tires. Not that the 2185 is slow, it runs about like I am used to.