2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch?

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #1  

badski78

Tractor
MF231
I've owned my 2166 for many years. I continue to have issues with what I believe to be the 925-3164A - interlock brake switch. I have a new battery, changed ignition switch, cleaned all connections (except this switch) and still the same clicking. After some time of releasing and pushing in the break and turning the ignition switch on and off, it finally starts. I looked under the frame without driving up on ramps and it appears to be somewhat hidden? Can anyone shed some light on how I can find this to pull and replace.

Thanks

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #2  
just out of curiosity - how tall are you and what is your weight?

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch?
6' 1" and 240 lbs. Just don't tell my wife the weight :)
If you're thinking it's the seat switch, I bypassed that years ago after replacing the switch and having issues again. I would do that with this break switch if I took the time to look into the wiring as I start the lawn mower like all my vehicles by pushing the break pedal in prioir to starting. Guess it's remnants from my days of driving all standard (non-automatic) cars. I can reach the front of this switch and push it in and out as the break does, but I can not see an easy way to get to it for removal and replacement.

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #4  
   / 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #5  
good catch, OM... may well solve OP's prob.

OP - naw, wus just wondering if you wus putting marginal weight on thet seat sw whilst engaging the cl/brake pedal and ign/start key all at the same time - have seen petite types have trouble with such... :)

Thanks for the information
It will give me something to do this weekend
It will be nice to have a mower that starts when I want it to.

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #7  
I had the same problem on my Z Force. Added the relay and it cranks everytime now.

rcbe - I've been called alot in my life, but petite is not one of them :laughing:

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #9  
I also want to replace the interlock switches, but can't figure out how to access them on 2166. Seat switch is fine. Tractor runs fine, but even with brake engaged stops when dismounting.

/ 2166 - how hard is it to replace the interlock brake switch? #10  
I realize this is an old thread but can you tell me where the brake switch is located on your 2166? I have a starting issue that I'm trouble shooting but the wiring diagram nor the parts diagram show the exact location of the brake switch. The reverse switch & seat switch is good, Thanks in advance.