i1046 won't turn right?

/ i1046 won't turn right? #1  

psgthru

Tractor
Cub i1046
Sorry if this has a solution somewhere; I searched "won't turn," "i1046" and read every post I thought might be close, without luck. Just joined today and posted intro maybe 30 min ago. Seems like I couldn't search just the cub lg forum? Anyway, thanks for any help/info:

Tractor is maybe four year old z turn (125 hrs) and out of warranty. It has the 17AF9BKH709 model #. I bought it new and have changed oil, filters, spark plugs, etc., and greased zirks according to owner's manual. I did not see anything about changing hydro fluid in the manual, although one thread suggested that as a cause for no-go.

The problem, after four seasons of flawless performance = today it wouldn't turn right. It will travel straight both forward and reverse, after turning left, it will turn back forward, but the steering wheel cannot move the wheels right (past forward,) to turn right. I started and warmed tractor, turned left to exit garage, straightened up and started mowing. The tractor turned right maybe three times in the first five minutes of operation, then suddenly wouldn't turn right. From previous post, I read something on hydro release levers. If those are the rods that get pulled out to the rear and chocked so the mower can be moved manually, I have ruled that out. Changing fluid was mentioned, but there is nothing in the owner's manual about having to change fluid.

Also, from another post, I downloaded a repair manual for the i1042, i1046, etc. The i1046 listed had the model 17AF9BKH710, instead of (last three 709,) but I don't think there is really any difference in the two. So, if I could get some suggestions about possible conditions that would cause this, I will use the repair manual to check each of them til the answer is found. As I said in intro, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I appreciate your kind assistance. Thanks, again!

Last edited:
   / i1046 won't turn right?
Follow up: Just read the link below about left wheel not turning. I jacked up the front end and the wheels would still only turn left and forward. All the moving parts I could see were moving easily.

Didn't think it could be the brakes, but checked both rods; they each had the same amount of play and the levers attached to hydro were also moving equally. The springs and castle nuts were present and secure.

Pulling out and chocking the hydro rods for manual movement resulted in same stopping point in turn.

/ i1046 won't turn right? #3  
check that service manual again.. there's an enclosed strg "gearbox" right down at the end of the strg wheel shaft that has a complex of gears,etc that set up strg relationships between the front axles and the rear trannies. Yer glitch may well be located in there...

Thanks. I'll check that gearbox.

Seems like very few have the i1046, but I'll post this resolution in hopes that it might help someone down the line. For review, the mower would drive straight and zero turn to the left, but would not turn right at all. Once I got the tip to check the gearbox, I called Cub Cadet tech support. I explained the problem a couple of times, then was escalated to a level 3 support tech. Not only did he say it was the gearbox, but cautioned me not to try to fix it on my own. The gearbox itself was only $69, but I called J&K Small Engine Repair in LaVergne, TN.

J&K picked up and delivered my tractor. It turned out that I was just missing a couple of bolts from the steering arm. I wound up spending a total of $133 for p/u, delivery and labor. But, I hate to think what it would have cost if I had tried to change out the gearbox by myself.

Huge Respect for J&K. They knew I suspected the gearbox, and could have soaked me. They treated me right; they even delivered the tractor, before getting paid. I am a lifelong fan and supporter. If you live in Middle Tennessee, and need a service provider, J&K is the BOSS.

BTW, I thought I had checked all the exposed connections. I guess I missed them because I was rushed and kind of panicked.

So, the BIG lesson is to stay calm, download a parts manual, buy a service manual and check things with a method, like one specific area at a time. You just may save yourself a lot of money. And, log this problem/solution for future reference.

Thanks to all who help others on this forum.

/ i1046 won't turn right? #6  
comeback with fix details much appreciated !!

Fix was posted. Two bolts on the steering arm.

/ i1046 won't turn right? #8  
sorry - my earlier post was meant to thank you for posting the followup.