Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #1  

viking22

Tractor
cub cadet 2160
I recently bought a used 2160, it's in great shape with just over 200hrs on it. The pto did not work. I had an extra one that used to connect the wiring to to make sure the pto was shot. It was, so I swapped them out. I believe I have loose or dead ground wire somewhere and im having trouble locating it. The reason I believe it's a ground wire issue is that I jumped the pto from the battery and it kicks in. From the switch I get nothing. The guy I bought it from had disconnected the seat switch and I have been told that that could be it. I reconnected the wires but it doesnt matter if your on the seat or not it will start and the pto does not engage. There is an orange wire thats not connected at either end and I dont know if has anything to do with the problem or not. Could use some help, the Cub dealer near me gets $80 an hr to fix it. Thanks

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #2  
Welcome aboard. Just a thought? You will receive better results by posting your inquiry in the specific "Cub Cadet" forum here on TBN. Best wishes.

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #3  
Check to see if the mower has one of those stupid switches that turn the pto off if it thinks you're in reverse. It could be that this sensor is disconnected, broke, not properly adjusted. This sensor should be located on the HST drive somewhere near the go pedal linkage. If it doesn't have this idiot sensor, I would ohm out the system to find the wire issue.

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #4  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet L&G forum.

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #5  
Here's the wiring diagrams for the 2160. The only orange wire is for the power for the starter solenoid.
2160_2165_Crank_wiring.jpg

2000_pto.jpg

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #6  
You'll fight the switches and wiring as long as you own the mower. The interlocks are junk and all will fail eventually. What I ended up doing is using the wiring diagram to remove all the OEM switches other than the ignition and just have a simple on-off for the PTO.

jack vines

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #7  
You'll fight the switches and wiring as long as you own the mower. The interlocks are junk and all will fail eventually. What I ended up doing is using the wiring diagram to remove all the OEM switches other than the ignition and just have a simple on-off for the PTO.

jack vines

Ahuh. Shore don't want to buy any used eqpt from you...

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #8  
Ahuh. Shore don't want to buy any used eqpt from you...

As they say, your opinions and results may vary.

Previous to this Cub Cadet, I used a Simplicity riding mower which was sold new with no lawyer/safety switches. Somehow, the wife, two children and I mowed an acre with it for thirty-five years and still have all the body parts. Having appreciated the Simplicity of not having to troubleshoot six failure-prone switches just to get the engine to start and the mower deck PTO to engage, I just went back to what the world was like when riding mowers were young.
The one fact which cannot be debated is those MTD switches are failure-prone. This forum and the general net have numerous queries about problems caused by total or intermittent switch failure.

/ Cub cadet 2160 ground wire issue #9  
My 2004 3235 has switches that apparently have failed the opposite way. I noticed lately that I can get off the tractor with the brake off and PTO even engaged without it stopping. I haven't bothered troubleshooting it yet as I would if the failure prevented it from running. It IS kind of dangerous having the blade running while getting off & on.

Bob B.