GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP!

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #1  

DOCKEDWAGES

Tractor
POS Cub Cadet 2550
I have a GT2550 tractor that, as of late, been giving me a lot of grief. It's been running great (As far as the engine goes. Would NEVER buy a Cub Cadet again) until recently where the engine will start up just fine, and then stall out. I changed the fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, and spark plugs, but still an issue. We mow about 5 acres with it, and some of the area is really dusty. I'm trying to determine if I have an electrical problem with the switch, or a fuel problem. I'd really appreciate some advice, because the grass is getting long, and the wife is harping on me to get it fixed. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined so I'd rather fix it myself rather than pay someone big bucks to fix it.

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #2  
Is it a carbureted engine?
Does it have a fuel pump?

To me, it sounds like fuel issues and not electrical. Could be related to ethanol.

If it were me, I'd start by taking the carb appart. Specifically, take the bowl off and see if there is any debris floating around in their and if the main jet is plugged.

Could also be a fuel line. Ethanol can cause them to get too soft and mushy. It will start fine and run off the gas in the carb, but as it tried to draw more fuel, it can collapse the softened rubber lines blocking flow.

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP!
Is it a carbureted engine?
Does it have a fuel pump?

To me, it sounds like fuel issues and not electrical. Could be related to ethanol.

If it were me, I'd start by taking the carb appart. Specifically, take the bowl off and see if there is any debris floating around in their and if the main jet is plugged.

Could also be a fuel line. Ethanol can cause them to get too soft and mushy. It will start fine and run off the gas in the carb, but as it tried to draw more fuel, it can collapse the softened rubber lines blocking flow.

Yes, it is a carburated engine, and it has a mechanical fuel pump. I was told on another forum to check the fuel shut-off solenoid. Do I have to remove the solenoid to test it, or can I just run a wire from my battery to the solenoid?:confused:

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #4  
I am not sure how the fuel-shutoff solenoid is set-up on your tractor. Typically (i think) gas motors usually dont have a solenoid. Cause they shut off by killing the spark. Fuel shut-offs are what they use to kill diesels though since they dont spark.

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #5  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet L&G forum.

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #6  
OP - your kohler command engine will have an afterfire control solenoid on the carb bottom, not a fuel shutoff solenoid. If it were sticking, you would not be able to start the engine at all. More likely, you either have a faulty fuel pump or a collapsing fuel line. If the machine is several years old, prolly best to replace all the flexible fuel lines. Also make sure the replacement fuel filter is an OEM type - kohlers are picky about such.
If engine still dies as before, pull off plug leads and fuel line to carb, crank engine while catching pumped fuel into container. Stream should be good.
If so, pull carb, clean well, rebuild with new kit, retest. If stream not good, determine cause and repair...

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #7  
More information would help. What is your engine model number (see label on engine)?

Here is a guess at the service manual for your Kohler engine:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_07.pdf

Thehttp://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_07.pdf

If this is not your engine, other manuals are available at this link:
Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

The troubleshooting guide on page 18, under "Engine Starts But Does Not Keep Running", lists a number of possible problems:

● Faulty carburetor.
● Faulty cylinder head gasket.
● Faulty or mis-adjusted choke or throttle controls.
● Fuel pump malfunction-vacuum hose clogged or leaking.
● Intake system leak.
● Loose wires or connections that intermittently ground ignition kill circuit.
● Quality of fuel (dirt, water, stale, mixture).
● Restricted fuel tank cap vent.

Does the engine always run 3 - 4 seconds before stalling? Will it keep running if you leave the choke on? Will it restart immediately if you try to restart it after it stalls? Will it run longer at low RPM before stalling? When it quits, does it die quickly, or does it stumble and surge, then stop? Quick shutdown is more likely ignition/electrical; slow shutdown fuel related.

Your engine does have a fuel cut off solenoid on the carburetor (see illustration in manual page 25). It helps to quickly stop the engine when the ignition switch is turned off by blocking the fuel flow to the main jet. I doubt that this is your problem, as the engine probably would not start if it was inoperative (in the closed, no power mode).

Good luck.

/ GT2550 Kohler engin starts then stalls after 3-4 seconds. HELP! #8  
Your engine does have a fuel cut off solenoid on the carburetor (see illustration in manual page 25). It helps to quickly stop the engine when the ignition switch is turned off by blocking the fuel flow to the main jet. I doubt that this is your problem said:
wrong. it is an afterfire solenoid. yes it does cut off fuel to the main jet and is controlled by the ignition switch, but it's purpose is to limit unburnt fuel from entering the exhaust chambers during spindown minimizing the loud shutdown "bang". the carb idle circiut is unaffected.