Cub Cadet LTX 1050 hanging up brake linkage

/ Cub Cadet LTX 1050 hanging up brake linkage #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
Just an FYI, I had an issue with my mower: after setting the parking brake to get off the mower, after I released it and pushed on the "Forward" pedal, it would make a squealing noise while not moving, then lurch ahead finally at some unpredictable moment. I tracked it down to the brake linkage on the right-side of the transmission. The lever that cams the disc brake was not returning fully to it's normal full back position.

I worked oil into the moving parts and that seemed to smooth things out considerably. Another fix might be to replace the small spring that pulls the brake lever back to its released position with a stronger one.

The starters have not improved on these Kohler engines. When my engine is at normal op temp, the starter sometimes doesn't always have enough oomph to turn the engine over. It hasn't left me sitting yet, but has come close. The engine only has about 30 hours, so maybe things will loosen up. I also have one slightly wobbly blade belt idler pulley after one summer's use. Oh well, I still have the $10K I didn't spend on Kubota or Deere. :laughing:

/ Cub Cadet LTX 1050 hanging up brake linkage #2  
spray park brake disc brake assy with rattlecan brake cleraner and function several times to loosen. Oil will only attract more dirt/crud.
A warm engine will usually develop more compression. check for marginal battery (load test), clean major start circuit elect connections to bight metal, lose garden hose or pressure washer if using same to wash down machine.

/ Cub Cadet LTX 1050 hanging up brake linkage
spray park brake disc brake assy with rattlecan brake cleraner and function several times to loosen. Oil will only attract more dirt/crud.
A warm engine will usually develop more compression. check for marginal battery (load test), clean major start circuit elect connections to bight metal, lose garden hose or pressure washer if using same to wash down machine.

Thanks for the tips. After reading the start problems threads, I will clean and reassemble my starter and battery connections for sure. The brake linkage thing--there wasn't dirt and crud, it is a marginal design that barely functions brand new just from drag in the bare metal friction. I was happy to be able to figure out what is going on with it. It's difficult to see what is going on in that area with the deck mounted. Agree that plain oil will collect crud.