Broken drive shaft

/ Broken drive shaft #1  

The Cub

Tractor
Cub cadet 1250
Ok so I was out the other night blowing the driveway when my 1250 came to a sudden stop. So after pulling it into the garage with my car i took off the tunnel cover and saw that the drive shaft had broke. My question is should I beef up the drive shaft with a U joint or use OEM parts .

/ Broken drive shaft #2  
That seems unusual. My 1450 never had a driveshaft problem in 26 years and over 1200 hours. I replaced a couple hydro fans, which required opening the driveshaft, but that's all.

Bob B.

/ Broken drive shaft #3  
OP - might look deeper for the cause - like loose engine mounts , out of balance, etc. ....

/ Broken drive shaft
I'll check the engine mounts , but how do you balance the drive shaft also what do you guy think about a u joint?

/ Broken drive shaft #5  
go here: Cub Cadet Collectors dot com • Downloads - 186x 1541 etc service manual d/l the service manual - go to Pp 202 or thereabouts - read up on drive line and it's components - then rethink u-joint idea.

coarse balancing chk can be done yerself by putting machine on blocks, running it at different rpms and CAREFULLY feeling for vibrations. Getting it BALANCED usually requires a piece of precision shop machinery and an experienced operator..but if your drive line parts are not wore out or damaged they should be in balance.

/ Broken drive shaft #6  
I'll check the engine mounts , but how do you balance the drive shaft also what do you guy think about a u joint?
The 1200/1400/1600 series were infamous for engine mount failure. I couldn't get enough belt tension on the mower belt on my 1450 and I found that all 4 engine mounting bolts were gone, the engine had dropped down between the steel mounting rails, and you could rock it back & forth by hand. It also ground the sides off the aluminum pan, where the mounting bolts go, from rubbing on the rails. I had to buy a new mount kit and raise the engine with a hoist and replace the oil pan.
Hopefully yours has not reached that point yet.

Bob B.

/ Broken drive shaft
I don't think my iso mount are in the best shape , but I tried moving the engine by hand and I even started it and throttled it up and it did not move much at all. Not to sure why the rubber part of the drive shaft let go. The cub dealer should be open tomorrow so I'll ask them and see what they think and pick up some new parts at the same time I just hope they have them in stock . We have more snow on the way tomorrow here in Montreal thx for all the info guy