Tractor
    Jinma 254

Default Rebuilding a Cub Cadet 125 with Kohler K301a that threw the connecting rod.

New to the forum so looking forward to working with you all!

I have this Kohler k301a that threw the connecting rod...or should I say "ate" it. It did take out a chunk of iron from the bottom of the cylinder bore. The rod broke in three pieces. The crankshaft is all galled up with aluminum so I need to clean that up and take a look at that. If it measures alright could I get by with just a new connecting rod?

Also: The Keyway on the PTO end of the crankshaft is all chewed up from someone not keeping things tight. Is there a nice/easy way to fit a key on the PTO end...or a nice repair?

Tractor
    Kubota B7510

Default Re: Rebuilding a Cub Cadet 125 with Kohler K301a that threw the connecting rod.

We do not have enough information to tell you a lot at this point. Yes a machine shop could either weld up and repair the PTO keyway or just cut another one in a different place since timing isn't an issue on the PTO. Do you have the engine completely disassembled? If so I would take the block and crank to my trusted machine shop for their opinion on both. The chunk out of the block may be bad enough to require that it have a sleeve installed or might not be in the area where piston travel is and not be of any significance. I am in the process of rebuilding a K241 and I have spent a lot of quality time at Brian Millers site. There is a lot of information there that will help you.Welcome to Brian Miller's Garden Tractor Pulling Tips & Tricks!
    Depending on severity of damage and cost to repair block, you might be better off just buying a used block as they are common on ebay and other sites as well as from Brian Miller.