Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #1  

srenovo

Let me begin by saying that I have little ability to do much myself because I have degenerative disc disease so I have to get someone to change my belts if something breaks - so keeping that in mind here is my problem.

I have a Cub 2135 dedicated for snow removal. A different machine does the mowing even though I seldom get to mow myself - lawn too bumpy - BUT - because the driveway is paved (but sloped) and smooth -

I can or could blow snow if I can find a tire setup other than tires and chains for snow blowing. I love lawn tractors and miss mowing but I am thinking that snow blowing from the inside of a relatively dry and warmish cab could be fun..............

I have enough $s to buy new tires and even studs for the tires if that seems the correct way to go.

I currently have Carlisle Turf tires on this machine that are brand new and the tread is supposed to be deep enough to take the shortest studs available - so - the question becomes should I try having these tires studded or should I purchase AG tires and have those studded and mounted on my tractor?

What about tires for the front?

What about a better seat for this tractor?

Any thought or advice is greatly appreciated.

srenovo

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #2  
My experience has been that turf tires are going to give you better bite in the snow than Ag would. The other factor is the ride quality that you are looking for and again, the Ag tire would be more harsh on your back. Weight is going to be your friend in this case. Be sure you have enough balast in the rear to keep the back tires firmly on the ground, especially when the blower is lifted. Remember too, if the front gets hard to steer, raise the blower a little to transfer weight to the front tires for bite. You might want to try your rig before studding the rear tires. You might be surprised how it goes. If there are problems, get them studded. (Remember studs can be hard on pavement.) Good luck:2cents:

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing
Thanks for the reply - I will need the studs as it ices pretty quickly in Southern PA. I tried once in one of our two snows this winter and stuck I was. Had to get the wife to push.

There must be something to this global warning as we almost always get snow, sleet, freezing rain mixed together.

What about front tires?

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #4  
Hi - I plowed and blew snow with my 1811 for years turf tires and chains setup. If you don't want chains then you need studs definite on the rear and maybe several rows on the front to help steering.

Is there a reason to not use chains if this is a dedicated snow machine? Also I would stick with turfs not AG tires as stated above.

The studs will mark your driveway when you spin the tires so that's the only drawback for studs. I would imagine 75-100 short studs per rear tire and you can add more as needed.

Post a picture too .

Carl

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #5  
turf tires fill up and are depending on the chains to do all the work.

ag tires dont pack full and the chains keep them from slipping. get chains that have a cross over every other link, not every 4th link. fill the tires and add weight to the wheels. filling the fronts adds weight to the tire to help with turning when the blower / thrower is down on its skids.

I have ag's chains, filled tires and 95lb in each wheel. my 582 will climb an ice wall. the 882 has chains and 75lb in each wheel

DSCF1623.jpg

DSCF1614.jpg

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #6  
:) I use turf tires and chains two link, also wheel weights. On the front, I have tri-ribs, since installing the tri-ribs, no more skidding and it just like power steering. I almost forgot, no blower, just a plow. :united-states:

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing
:) I use turf tires and chains two link, also wheel weights. On the front, I have tri-ribs, since installing the tri-ribs, no more skidding and it just like power steering. I almost forgot, no blower, just a plow. :united-states:

I have added studs and they work!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if I could just keep the front tires from going flat. My son is coming tomorrow and we are going to a local tire shop and getting new Carlisles for the front.

All seems to work well but between broken belts(on the thrower) and flat tires I haven't been able to plow more than 150 feet without something going wrong.

Thanks for all the advice.

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #8  
Take a look at the tires that walk behind snowthrowers are equipped with. These are like knobbys with the tip of each knob hollowed out. This tread type is going to give you the best traction available from tires in shallow snow. Im not sure if there is a variant of this that is studdable.
larry

/ Best Tire Set Up for Snow Blowing #10  
:) Those Carlisles are good looking tires. But I suspect that once they get snow packed they would be the same as turf's. They did not state in their ad, if they are self cleaning. If they are, a LT/GT will not be able to spin them fast enough to clean. Were as an ATV would. I think they would be questionable on ice. Where as turfs with chains work well on ice. :united-states: