CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore?

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore? #1  

Cigar50

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Hello All, Noob here. Put up an intro in the new members section. Generally more of a lurker and searcher for info than I am a joiner poster, but I do have this question.

Here is the background: I have this CC 104 that I have had since about 1984. Those of you that know about this era Cubs know that they are built just like mini tractors. Stout frames, drive shaft, clutch, cast iron rear end, even the front grill shell is cast iron. That's why I kept the thing and drug it all over the country with me as I moved. Anyway its no show queen as it has seen its fair share of work, but it is in pretty good shape and there is the sentimental value, right?

Anyway I was at my CC dealer getting some maintenance items for my SC2400 when I saw this 3000 series machine in his trade in section. Looks a little rough, not bad, just not loved like it should be. The deck on it is ROUGH though, it has a rusted out section on the front lip. How does that happen in Texas? That's about all I remember as I wasn't really that interested. But I did ask my dealer if perhaps we could work something out for my 104 on this 3000 series. Said he might be interested and we left it at that. NO, I don't even know the specific model of 3000 the unit is. At the time I was not that curious, but the more I thought about it maybe I should be more curious depending you guys thoughts.

So the question, if you were going to spend money on bringing one of these machines back to 'close to new' condition (kind of a restomod in the car world) which would you do? My 104 runs ok and it cuts ok as well, but it does have its quirks and my wife does not enjoy it at all. Works alright for me but if I'm going to make it useable for her I need to get after all the little stuff that make it something of a challenge to the inexperienced to run. Once you start that you know where it goes, fix everything. So if I'm going to do that would I be better getting the 3000 series and end up with a hydrostat that would make it easy for the wife to use?

Thoughts, questions?
Thanks, Cigar50

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore? #2  
Hi Cigar,
I had a 3225 that was also not loved by someone, not really bad mostly cosmetic, took the panels to a body shop had them redone did a complete service, I was going to address the surface rust on the deck but ended up selling it. It was one solid tractor and i would have no problems bringing another one back to showroom condition. By the way i sold it so i could purchase a new sx3100 or i would have kept it.
Good luck :thumbsup:

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore?
BuilderML Interesting you mention the sx3100. The feature that attracts me on that unit is the drive over deck. My 62yr old body is starting to remind me that it ain't as young as it used to be. I may, again I say may, look into upgrading my sc2400 to the sx3100. Not a huge jump in capability and the sc2400 has done everything I've asked it, but that drive over deck might be a body saver.

My plan on the 3000 series is to go take another look at it in a week or so (dealer is 25 mi from me), see if starts and runs, drive it around a bit to get a feel for it. Then sit down, so I don't fall down, when the the dealer tells me the $$ he wants for it. Then go from there.

Just an update for those that are curious. The 104 is on my dealer's used equipment line on a consignment basis and I brought home the 3000 series. It's a 3184 with 44" deck, 220hrs. Tractor is in pretty fair shape. I'm in process of giving it a through cleaning and doing some touch up paint work on the frame. The mower deck is a little rough and needs some "patches" welded into the leading edge of the deck. I'm working on the patches now. The deck also has significant rust issues and am trying to address them as I prep it for paint. My dealer said he might be getting a handle on better deck, so we'll see if I can upgrade in the future. Right now the old deck is just fine as my property is pretty rough right now and my mowing is just cutting green stuff (mostly weeds and wild grasses) as I don't have a real lawn. Guess I just needed a new project.

CAM00047.jpg CAM00045.jpg Here is a pic (cell phone) working on the tractor frame. Cleaned up some rust and re-painted. This post is also a test to see if I can post a pic. Ok, it worked, so I added a pic with 1st coat of paint.

Last edited:
Since I figured out I can upload pics here are a couple of the deck.CAM00050.jpg CAM00052.jpg CAM00053.jpg

One is just the general condition of the deck. There was considerable rust under the deck hanger attachment plate. Should have taken one of the front edge before I cut it out but there wasn't much there. I think heavy fertilizer and lack of washing/cleaning took its toll. Last one is fitting one of the patches prior to welding. Talking about welding, I can stick stuff together but I am no pro, not even close. :laughing:

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore? #7  
Glad to see some pics. I kinda miss my 3225. but i do love my new toy!!
Keep the pic's coming :thumbsup:

Here are a couple pics of the operator foot platform, the underneath side. CAM00046.jpg CAM00048.jpg

The rusted areas are mostly around attachment points, which is fairly typical. First coat of paint complete. I'm currently grinding, sanding and priming the deck. Hope to get paint on it next week. Will post some pics later so you can see the progress.

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore? #9  
You do know you could get a 48', 54", or 60" deck for that 3000 series?

And....given the choice.....there are the Cub purists that woud select the 100 series...I'm of the later breed that likes the hydraulics and amenities, so the 3000 would do it for me.

Good luck!

/ CC104 or 3000 Series, Which would you restore? #10  
Hey Cigar50 i'm in the same boat. Picked up an abused (Up to the point the deck blades were on upside down) 3184 and am trying to determine it's true condition before I put too much time or money into it. Needed some welding at the front of the deck as well. I had a 2180 that I got rid of to make room and still have a 2185 that I will keep with the new 3000 series. It sure does feel funny to me with the power steering :laughing:, seems highfalutin to me. Good luck with it, I know how it gets into your blood and you can't help yourself anymore :D