Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do?

/ Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do? #1  

kentuckydiesel

Silver Member
Have my Great Grandfather's Cub Cadet 122 sitting in the garage. Engine is a K301AS

About 15 years ago, a friend and I were doing some mowing at my Grandparent's farm. He was on the 122. He was going along just fine, then it suddenly shut off. We pulled it back to the barn and took a look. Appeared that the engine locked up (and it wasn't low on oil or anything). About 4 years ago I pulled it out of the barn, removed the head, engine turned over fine. No signs of carbon deposits or anything, but one of the valves was a bit sticky. Some Marvel Mystery Oil and a hammer handle got the valve working as it should. Got a new head gasket and put it back together only to find out that the starter/generator wasn't working. I moved back in town at that point and took the 122 back to my Grandparents place.

A couple years ago, my Wife and I bought our own farm. Went back and got the Cub Cadet and started looking for parts to rebuild the Starter/Gen, but unfortunately that project always got put on the back burner. Finally about 6 months ago I decided to see if I could even get it running by using the Starter/Gen off of an old golf cart I have. I got it running, but it had to be choked or it would die. I let it run for a minute or two, then BANG BANG BANG....and the crankshaft hummed to a stop.

I haven't torn it down, but it seems that the connecting rod let go.

Here's my question. Do I rebuild the K301 or put a different engine in? It has been so long since I ran the little Cub, I can't remember if it had enough power or not. I have the ability to fabricate anything (I run a steel fabrication shop), so frame and driveshaft modifications are not an issue. I even thought of putting a 2Cyl engine in it.

Ideas? Anyone put anything larger in one of these? Should I just rebuild?

Thanks,
Phillip

/ Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do?
...or can I bore this 12hp engine and use the 16hp piston? All other specs appear to be the same.

Thanks, Phillip

/ Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do? #3  
CIMG1296.JPG
Years ago, I had the Cub 100 that had a B&S L series 16hp engine in it. Had to lenghten the frame a few inches to fit it in. Ran great and had plenty of power. Probably used it for 10 years before i sold it.

/ Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do?
The 100 originally had 10hp, right?

Do you remember if the extra power was worth the effort?

Thanks,
Phillip

/ Cub Cadet 122...what would you guys do? #5  
Since the original 10hp motor was blown when i got it, I can't compare it to the 16hp motor. If you notice in the picture, there are dual rear wheels and there are wheel weights between them. My biggest problem was traction, even with the engine at an idle, doing any real work with it, the back wheels would slip. The 16hp never loaded down, I think it was worth the effort. I did have two hyd pumps on it, one in the front for the loader and one on the back of the engine for the rear blade lift. I had to have a custom clutch machined for it. You might be able find a replacement motor that would fit without having to modify the frame. Harbor Freight has some low cost engines that might work?

Good Luck! Tom