GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal

/ GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal #1  

Stephen_Byers

I have a 2004 GT2550 and over the past few years, my pedals seem to be sticking more and more. The forward pedal seems to stick when I push it down. When I take my foot off the forward pedal, it is really slow to come up. I think there must be some interlock mechanism that keeps the brake pedal from being pressed in while the forward pedal is pressed down. As a result, I can't apply the brake when I need to, so it has become a safety issue. I was looking for a lubrication point but can't really find anything. Does anybody know what's going on? Thanks in advance!

/ GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal #2  
Prolly best to pull deck so as to get under tractor to inspect linkage. With engine off, have helper operate subject pedals so as to see what linkage is involved. Look for bushed rods/connections that may be worn/dirty. Clean with rattlecan carb cleaner, re-lube with dry graphite powder lube (NOT oil or grease - will only attract more dirt) May have to replace badly worn bushings (get parts list from cub website).

During this under-tractor inspection/investigation, you should be able to spot what is causing your brake interference problem and fix it... if brake caliper mechanism itself is sticky, use brake pad cleaner to clean/free it.

/ GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal #3  
A gentleman on another tractor forum took his seat/fender assemble off to clean the linkage...seems to me he also replaced a simple plastic linkage controller. He said it was real easy to do and recommended regular cleanings to avoid future problems.

Since reading that a few years back, and seeing the photos posted, I have used a piece of flex hose at the end of my air compressor to reach up and over the rail to hopefully clear debris away from that linkage area.

Let us know how you progress with the fix or work around.

/ GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal
A gentleman on another tractor forum took his seat/fender assemble off to clean the linkage...seems to me he also replaced a simple plastic linkage controller. He said it was real easy to do and recommended regular cleanings to avoid future problems.

Since reading that a few years back, and seeing the photos posted, I have used a piece of flex hose at the end of my air compressor to reach up and over the rail to hopefully clear debris away from that linkage area.

Let us know how you progress with the fix or work around.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked under and cleaned it up a bit. I think it improved a little but not enough. I am looking at the "cylinder damper" (looks like a tiny storm-door hydraulic closer.) Is it possible this could be failing? It seems like this is what is supposed to pull the forward pedal back after I let off the gas. Take a look at #7 in the parts diagram I uploaded. trans.pngThanks.

Attachments

• trans.png
    trans.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 360
   / GT2550 forward pedal sticking / unable to apply brake pedal
I went ahead and ordered the cylinder damper part. I'm going to change my trans oil and filter as well. Will let everyone know if that fixes the problem.