Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #1  

texstrk426

Tractor
John Deere 5105
On the Cub Cadet LT-1000 series lawn tractor/mowers the headlights are molded plastic lens types with 12V bulbs and sockets that insert from the backside. Is there a way to disassemble the front lens from the rear of the headlight housing to clean dust and dirt from the inside? Ideally I would like to be able to clean the inside and then seal up the assembly in such manner to prevent dust and debris from getting inside. Thanks in advance.

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #2  
I have the same problem with my 2006 LT-1050. It is filled with dead grass. I'm afraid that I might break the plastic tabs that hold the lens in place. I think the only way is to lift up the hood and press on all of them simultanouesly from the inside and push the lens cover out.

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #3  
I had a problem with my 2206 light getting dirty. I took the hood off and removed the headlight assembly. i then very carefully used a screwdriver to release the tabs on it. The headlight reflector was painted on the 2206 so use a mild cleaner.

here is what the headlights look like on the 2206.

IMG_20120627_100636.jpg

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #4  
The headlight bezel looks very similar on my 2004 3235. I found that the tabs don't last long and my first headlight lens fell off and got run over with the mower blades. I bought a new one on eBay and when the tabs started breaking on that one I drilled 4 holes in the corners and installed short sheet metal screws to hold the outer lens in place. That's worked well for several years.

Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair
Bob; Thanks for your input on this. Plastic is so easy to break. I like your idea of screws to hold the front piece to the back pieces. I am thinking that I might be able to seal up the assembly with some thin tape to keep dust and debris out once I get it apart to clean the inside surfaces. I had the mower outside and being held up with chains from my John Deere 5205 tractor while I replaced the drive belt and repaired the steering. We had rain that managed to get inside the headlight lens on one side and as soon as I started the mower to check for proper operation after the repairs one of the lamps broke from the presence of the water and being heated by the internal filament. So now I will have to replace the lamp at the very least. I think I will take the time to get the assembly out to do the cleaning and modifications.

Joe

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #6  
Run a dremel over the tabs to remove , then drill holes to hold front and rear together , small bolt and nylock nut and Bobs your uncle.
Pull apart and clean whenever you want.

tracter;
I like your idea. I have a Dremel tool, so that will be an easy job. I visit Ace, Home Depot and Lowe's often and I know they do have all sizes of machine screws and locknuts. They also have nylon plastic screws and nuts too. Stainless steel screws will probably be best since they will not rust easily.
Thanks!

Today after finishing mowing and cleaning the deck, I decided to try removing the headlight assembly for cleaning. I did manage to get the entire plastic bezel off by careful use of some screwdrivers. The plastic appears to be pretty tough and durable. Cleaning the parts is easy enough, but replacing them on the unit will just result in more dirt and debris getting inside. I am considering getting some LED lights made for RV or automotive use to replace the existing arrangement. Something that has a shallow depth and can be recessed into the opening of the hood would be best. I don't want anything that protrudes to get struck by tree limbs etc. when mowing. LEDs draw far less current than incandescent bulbs and some of the new types put out lots of lumens. I need to do some research to find something that fits. I will post results.

Joe

/ Cub Cadet LT-1000 series headlight clean/repair #9  
Today after finishing mowing and cleaning the deck, I decided to try removing the headlight assembly for cleaning. I did manage to get the entire plastic bezel off by careful use of some screwdrivers. The plastic appears to be pretty tough and durable. Cleaning the parts is easy enough, but replacing them on the unit will just result in more dirt and debris getting inside. I am considering getting some LED lights made for RV or automotive use to replace the existing arrangement. Something that has a shallow depth and can be recessed into the opening of the hood would be best. I don't want anything that protrudes to get struck by tree limbs etc. when mowing. LEDs draw far less current than incandescent bulbs and some of the new types put out lots of lumens. I need to do some research to find something that fits. I will post results.

Joe

You can buy a LED replacement bulb to fit the existing connector. It may be a 1156.

Replacing the existing lamp with an LED would only reduce power consumption. My idea is to completely replace the dirt/debris invaded lamp and housing assembly with something like this:
2" Round 10 Watt LED Mini Auxiliary Work Light | Mini Auxiliary Lights | Super Bright LEDs

After removing the assembly from my LT-1050 I see no way to seal this unit to keep dirt from getting inside the housing. Only a housing that is made to be sealed like the one I linked to will keep dirt from getting inside a light housing. The very first time I used my mower, dirt got inside of it and I realized that it would continue to. Cleaning the inside of the existing assembly is a totally futile effort and a waste of time. Another approach is to just remove the entire arrangement and insulate the wires, tie them back with zip ties and do without lights at all. I do not try to mow in low light conditions anyway. I have some colonial white paint in a spray can that I could use to pant the existing lens arrangement so that it matches the rest of the hood and just do away with lights altogether.

Joe