Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up #1  

Chuck Barnhart

Tractor
FYI....this may be old information, but through my searches I have not found this before.
Last year when ever we would operate our Cub Cadet 1050 series mower it would not want to engage the transmission but after some perssistance and a lot of noise it would finally move. This year I took it out of the barn wth the same noise, but it moved. I got to the gate of the horse lot and it froze up. Never to move again.

I went on line and the site recommended checking the belt and if that was not it I would probably need a new transmission.

My mower being only 3 years old I was not happy with that idea as the belt was in tact.

So I hauled the mower to my shop building and reviewed the manuals. I tried moving the cooling fan which seemed to be froze up too. I disengaged the relief valve to no avail. I banged on the brake pedal with not change.

I got under the mower and saw the disc brake and messed wth it thinking the pads were froze up. Then with my dead blow I started tapping the linkage. The linkage released and the fan turned. I engaged the brake to start the engine but had the same awful noise. the mower would not move. I released the brake linkage again and tired to start with the same results. I got out the 3 in one oil and oiled the linkage and all was well in the world. The transmission is working well again.

I just thought this may save someone a expensive repair.

Chuck

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up #2  
I have a 1050 also, I haven't had the transmission lockup like your, but I have notice the ground speed has slowed down and varies during usage. Have you notice anything like this before your linkage issue? Or any suggestions?
Good to hear you got yours working again without spending a lot of $$$.

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up
I have a 1050 also, I haven't had the transmission lockup like your, but I have notice the ground speed has slowed down and varies during usage. Have you notice anything like this before your linkage issue? Or any suggestions?
Good to hear you got yours working again without spending a lot of $$$.

I would check to see if the belt is slipping. For an old farm boy that would give cause for variable speeds.

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up #4  
A friend has a LT-1554 and she had a problem with the trans slipping after mowing for 30 minutes.
A repair guy found that the fan on the trans pulley was broken and the oil was overheating!
She has abused this tractor, just leaves it sit out in the weather, doesn't even try to cover it! And it still runs great.

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up #5  
I was forced to leave my cub outside before... man the weather can really do a number on them in a short time! Water in the trsnsmission oil can cause the hydro to "SLIP" or behave funny.

/ Cub Cadet 1050 hydrostatic Transmission Froze up #6  
it's usually simple - those trannies have an external brake caliper assy used for the park brake function. leave them out to weather and they freeze up, effectively stalling the tranny. Use rattlecan brake pad cleaner to break the assembly free (and avoid attracting more dirt/dust with residual oils)...