Cub Cadet Starter Drag

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #1  

Chuck Barnhart

Tractor
We have a Cub Cadet 1050 mower. When ever we try to start the starter drags. It has been this way since new. We took it back to the dealer and they would just put a new battery in it. If I just hold the key it will start but this is not normal. it is an issue of the starter not turning. The problem would never go away. Does anyone have a fix for this. Loose ground wire, something????

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #2  
I have the same issue with my 1050. I would love to find out what is causing it.
Any input would be great.

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #3  
Check and clean all of your connections between the battery, ground, the solenoid and the starter. I would also try putting a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals to see if it spins faster then as sometimes the solenoid doesn't lock in properly.

Aaron Z

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #4  
if your cub is stopping at tdc after cranking you may need to set the valves,mtd only puts a 230cc batt in these units (not enough) have your valves set, put in a 350cc battery or higher (these kohler eng put out 150 lbs per square with no compression release)if that does not fix it may be time for a cam shaft...lol

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #5  
Starter alignment might be off, but ditto on checking your large ground and positive cables/connections. Any resistance/bad connection from the battery to the starter will do this...

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #6  
Is it a Kohler Courage engine? If it is a friend has a Cub Cadet 22 hp that does the same thing and I know of a Toro with a 23 hp Courage that does the same thing.

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #7  
it's got nothing to do with alignment, the courage twin has 150lbs comp each side with no comp release you need to set your valves or get a higher cranking battery

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #8  
Mine does this also, the starters are under sized for this much compression, I would think some one would offer a high torque starter, it seams they all do this.

Dave

/ Cub Cadet Starter Drag #9  
just curious - any of you guys been washing yer steeds down with hoses or power washers?