Angry Greasing a GT2000;s steering gear............

Has anyone figured out how to grease the steering gear fitting on a GT2000.

I want to love this tractor but MTD/Cub Cadet made it even harder to work on than the previous model.

I do not believe unscrewing 4 bolt of two different sizes is better than the old way - of spring loaded hand operated fasteners - so that one can almost get the grease gun nozzle on a short poorly placed fitting and then squirting grease everywhere but into the innards.

I did leave one of the plastic to plastic bolts out - to inconvenient to get back in.

Maybe we can talk Honda into buying MTD and then reengineering so that little things like this wouldn't make us sorry that MTD /Cub Cadet just doesn't get it...........

Does anyone make a long but properly threaded grease fitting that would solve the problem.

There has got to be a better way.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet GT 2000

Default Re: Greasing a GT2000;s steering gear............

I also have a GT 2000, year 2011 model. Those fittings (2 each, one behind the engine and one above the mower deck are a real pain to reach.) I bought an 18 inch flexible line for my hand operated grease gun and have to attach the end to the grease zerk "by touch" ,as it is almost impossible to see in that small space with the hand in there, and hold the fitting straight with the zerk while I get the assistance of my wife to give the gun a pump. I have to give her a couple of paper towels to hold the gun as she hates the greasy gun. Small price to pay for the help!!!!!!!
    Leo
    Tractors Of The Past:
    Snapper 30" Hi-Vac
    Craftsman: LT 1000 42" (6-speed tranny)With Bagger

Default Re: Greasing a GT2000;s steering gear............

I feel your pain, MTD's quality control model should honestly read..."giving way from the tried and true for thoroughly engineered to fail".
    Kubota B1750 with chains on all 4 turf tires. CC1440 & GT2550

Tractor
    Cub Cadet GT2100

Quote Originally Posted by srenovo View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to grease the steering gear fitting on a GT2000.

I want to love this tractor but MTD/Cub Cadet made it even harder to work on than the previous model.

I do not believe unscrewing 4 bolt of two different sizes is better than the old way - of spring loaded hand operated fasteners - so that one can almost get the grease gun nozzle on a short poorly placed fitting and then squirting grease everywhere but into the innards.

I did leave one of the plastic to plastic bolts out - to inconvenient to get back in.

Maybe we can talk Honda into buying MTD and then reengineering so that little things like this wouldn't make us sorry that MTD /Cub Cadet just doesn't get it...........

Does anyone make a long but properly threaded grease fitting that would solve the problem.

There has got to be a better way.
    I feel your pain brother, I have a GT2100 & when I saw that fitting indicated in the maintenance part of the manual it took me quite a while to even find the dang thing. When I did I was amazed and confused as to why in the world they would put a zirk in such an awkward place. So, I got another section of hose and a nipple fitting from the plumbing department, Teflon taped everything and threaded it together. Now I have a 3' line but I still have to feel in the dark for the nipple, wait, that's reminds me of a story from high school, but never mind that, I hold the hose end with one hand & squeeze with the other, messy job but it gets it done. I be there are many owners that will never grease it at all, both due to it being a PITA and some not even knowing its there. Try the hose extension trick, it makes it easier for the other fittings as well.

Happy tractoring!