cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start

/ cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start #1  

MONGONGO

Tractor
cud cadet 1018
Mower is 5/6 years old. Shut mower off, and it will now NOT restart.. cranks just fine.
Is there a wire or wires I can pull of the coil to bypass the safe switches or do I have to test each one?
If so.. how many are there? And HOW do I test the coil?
BRIGGS 18.5 HP

any ideas and help will be appreciated..

John

Last edited:
   / cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start
new plug, no fire,, removed black little wire to coil..nothing..... sprayed start fluid in and it would crank for a while then back fire white smoke.. and well.... that is where im at.. child needed tending too and supper cooked.. This old dad is doing his best..

/ cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start #3  
Mower is 5/6 years old. Shut mower off, and it will now NOT restart.. cranks just fine.
Is there a wire or wires I can pull of the coil to bypass the safe switches or do I have to test each one?
BRIGGS 18.5 HP

John

A failure of the safety switches would prevent it from cranking so they must be working OK.

Bob B.

/ cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start #4  
OP - first, lose the starting fluid if it's ether - great way to finish that engine forever. Use rattlecan carb cleaner instead. 2) your description of how the engine is behaving trying to start indicates either a valve function prob or possibly a sheared flywheel key. Would first remove valve cover and chk for any anomalies there (loose, stuck, etc.). Only get into flywheel if you are a good shadetree mechanic.

BTW, most tractors need to have clutch fully depressed, PTO sw off, and weight on the seat before starting.. easy to forget when troubleshooting.

It was running so perfect just minutes before.. All I did was turn it off to visit with wife and child.. that was it.. and then nothing... Thanks for you help.. I am ready to remove flywheel.. just need to get a puller.

/ cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start #6  
OK - cuppla things about the flywheel R&R - use only OEM if putting in a replacement key. Have all mating surfaces between key/flywheel bore/crank absolutely clean and dry before re-install - NO lube on surfaces. Torque retaining bolt/nut to spec for that engine usually around 100 ft.lbs... get info from tractor or engine mfgr. good luck

/ cub cadet 1018 cranks but no start #7  
BRIGGS 18.5 HP

John

There are two areas that come to mind on a Briggs that will prevent it from starting. One is a sheared woodruff key on the flywheel. Two would be a rusted flywheel which passed by each coil to fire each plug. Remove the shrowd cover and remember or document with camera as you disassemble. Check the flywheel edge for rust. If any rust, clean with a med fine sandpaper. Loosen coils from each's stand and put a business card between the coil and flywheel where is comes closest. Let the coil magnetize to the flywheel with the card between. Retighten coil mounting screw. Remove card. Info on doing this on YouTube.

If no rust shine a flashlight down into the center of the flywheel to see if the key is still perfectly aligned flywheel to shaft. If it has moved the slightest. The flywheel needed removed and a new key of correct size installed. There are plenty of YouTube videos to sample and guide you in the break down. You do however need to know how to use a wrench. There are videos showing how to simply remove a flywheel with or without a puller. I just rebuilt my entire charging circuit, flywheel, stator, rectifier due to a failed magnet inside the flywheel which destroyed everything. My ZT quit charging. I found all the info I needed by doing simply searches on the net. Info on testing the coil on the net as well. google is your friend. :) -kid

busted push rod!....