Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering.

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #1  

mhart

Silver Member
Hey all
I dont know very much about lawn equipment, I am posting a novice question. I have a 2005 GT2521 that I have had for about 3 years, it was purchased used, now has only 150hrs on it.

I mowed with it several times this year with no problem. I have changed oil and transmission filters regularly.

Yesterday when mowing it seems to be lacking power, engine would intermittently feel like it was going to die but it never did. I put some engine start fuel cleaner in to see if maybe that was the problem. It did not seem to help.

I then decided to park it and look it over some more. When I turned it off it backfired loudly. It has backfired over the years from time to time but nothing like this.

What do you think I should do next.

Thanks so much
Matt

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #2  
Matt - the fuel that you put in the tractor for this last mowing... was it fresh fuel? if not, may have messed up your carb a bit. Another thing to look at is possibly your fuel filter needs to be replaced. if so replace only with EOM type, not aftermarket or generic. IF backfiring on shutdown continues to be a more severe problem, two things you can do - 1) shut down from half throttle position 2) remove afterfire solenoid from carb bottom, use rattlecan carb cleaner and meke sure that plunger moves freely with no sticking - reinstall/test.

let us know results.

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #3  
Another possibility is that it's only running on one cylinder or the flywheel key is a little sheared throwing the timing off. All it takes is one to many backfires to shear the key.

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering.
Thanks guys,
The gas was maybe 2 weeks old in sealed gas can in my barn. I had 2 five gallon cans that I filled up about 2 weeks ago, this was the end of the first can.

I got the tractor back out yesterday, I poured some sea-foam in the tank. It seemed to mow ok last night. Do you think it was just bad gas and the sea-foam helped.

Thanks
Matt

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #5  
hard to say. may have been a little water in the fuel aggravating everything or mebbe the seafoam (good stuff) just cleaned out some crap inside the carb... may hafta watch it for a while to see how engine gets on.

Started to mow again tonight and same thing. Seemed to sputter and overall lack power. I did replace the fuel filter.

Do I need to end up taking this to the dealer?

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #7  
Probably... even tho this is into their busy season - be prepared for delays. One other thing you might want to try yourself is to remove the engine cowling sheet metal to verify no trash or mouse nest buildup in the engine cooling fins... just take plenty of "before" pixs to help you get it back together OK.

Good point. I have had mouse nest issues in the past, but nothing that impacted performance. Will keep you posted.

No mouse nests. Again mower did well tonight for about 10-15 minutes then acted up again. I guess not much else to do. Thanks so much for your help with this.

Called dealer and they are 3 weeks behind. Not good since grass is at peak growing speed.

/ Cub Cadet GT2521 sputtering. #10  
Matt - just for kicks, try running your machine with the fuel tank cap just loose (watch out for spills). The air vent in that cap may be blocked up.