cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #1  

wrz

Tractor
cub cadet zforce m50
I have a cub cadet zforce m50 zero turn I can not get the blades to engage. We have changed the switch replaced the clutch and still will not engage. last fall we changed the starter before we replaced the starter the blades engaged after the blades will not engage...Any help would be great...

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #2  
I looked at the wiring diagram. Most likely the seat switch is bad or disconnected.

Wiring_zps9546e50f.jpg

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage
well thank you for a response. We changed the switch in the seat also. I have been trying to look directions on installing the starter and can not locate one anywhere. the starter didnt come with directions. it has green, mauve, and red wires all going to the hot side of the starter and negative side it only has the wires connecting it to the engine I believe...I dont know we are at a loss...I am hoping I will not have to pay somebody to fix it or tell me what is wrong with it when it is probably something so simple as a bad ground!!!

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #4  
so... where did you get the new starter? Is it an OEM replacement or a generic aftermarket item? Usually, starter details are found in the engine's service manual found at at the engine mfgr's website... kohler - free, briggs - $$.

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #5  
Let's start from the beginning. What is the model number of the mower? It should be on a tag, likely under the seat. That way I can look up a different wiring diagram because the one I posted may be from a different year. Also what engine does it have?

ok it is a 2006 zforce m50 23hp kohler cv23 model number for engine...i dont have the tractor right now to check...i will look when i get home...also i am guessing it was generic starter as my brother searched for the cheapest parts and mail ordered them.

Last edited:
   / cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #7  
Okay download the Kohler CV23 service manual here. http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_07.pdf

Pages 34-35 are wiring diagrams and legend.

Large terminal on starter gets
Large gage wire from battery positive, small red wire from fuse and violet wire from regulator.

Tab terminal on starter gets
Blue wire from key switch.

Ok thank you for the response...from what i remember from looking at the wiring on the starter...i dont think it is wired right but would that affect the blades engaging? The tractor starts and runs fine just blades will not engage and all switches have been replaced checked and fine even the clutch has been replaced...

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #9  
Check to see if your battery is charging. Low volts will keep the clutch from engaging. There are three terminals on the rectifier. The two outside are AC from the stator. The center is the DC B+ . You can unplug the rectifer and start the engine. You should have around 28V AC on the two outside wires. Probably white wires.

You can actually test your clutch with some small jumper wires and a charged 12V battery. Unplug the connector to the clutch (two wires) and touch to + and - on battery. You should hear the clutch clank when it engages.

With engine off disconnect rectifier plug. Take a volt Ohm meter to the two outside terminals on the plug. You should get a reading. No reading, indicates a bad stator. Bad stator, no charging on the battery. I just replaced the flywheel on my MTD Pro 2554. Seems a magnet came loose which is common on the CV25S Kohler engine. Magnet took out the stator and rectifier. All fixed and the blades engage anytime as they should.

/ cub cadet zforce m50 blades wont engage #10  
The pto switch gets its 12+ from the charging circuit and the ground goes thru some of the safety switches. So if something isn't wired right or its not charging the clutch may not work.

M50_wiring_zps000c2886.jpg