Oil change idiocy

/ Oil change idiocy #1  

jim44

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5100 Cub Cadet LGTX 1050
Just working on changing the oil in my LT 1050. Has anyone come up with a way to replace that factory oil drain system with something that can be used to drain the oil without all the gymnastics and headstands, etc.?? That is without a doubt the most ridiculous thing I've come across in years, not to mention that it apparently can not be totally closed, and leaks a fair amount of oil all over the engine and frame. I hope there's a way to replace that junk -- maybe with a pipe nipple and cap??:confused3:

/ Oil change idiocy #2  
great drain system (with the current drain system) on a lt 1050 it is prob the old drain prob needs to have the metal fitting that screws into the block tighter,hence the oil leak if you have the one with the red tabs,take it out and put the newer style in with some plumbers tape ,very simple oil change from then on

/ Oil change idiocy #3  
I'd substitute LockTite for plumbers tape whenever possible but that's just me...

/ Oil change idiocy
So, I take it that the red tab setup has been improved?

What sort of a tool does it take to switch it out, or tighten it?

Thank you both for the help.

/ Oil change idiocy #6  
15/16 wrench ..lol pull the old yellow fitting off first (after draining oil),then use your wrench

So, I take it that the red tab setup has been improved?

What sort of a tool does it take to switch it out, or tighten it?

Thank you both for the help.

/ Oil change idiocy #7  
There's several threads with pics here on replumbing that thing with a proper hard pipe setup that drains over the back of the engine mounting plate.

/ Oil change idiocy
I haven't been able to find anything relating to the ltx 1050 as far as re-plumbing the oil drain. Found a thread on a 25xx, dealing with the same problem, but it doesn't look like the same setup. Would the size (3/8) and thread (pipe) be the same on a 1050?? The overall idea is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

/ Oil change idiocy #9  
I'd think it would be the same just for parts commonality at Kohler. That said, the only way to find out is to dive in.