Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark #1  

JohnMac

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2135
My cub cadet has a 13hp Kohler Command with the hydrostatic drive. It runs for maybe 10 minutes then stalls out. I've checked it afterward and there is no spark. It won't start again for hours.
I've read some of your older posts, and people with similar problems usually say it's either the ignition module or the ignition coil. I believe these are the same thing correct? If you think it is the module, would you recommend checking it first or just buying a new one? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark #2  
First, loss of spark may be due to overheating. remove engine shroud sheet metal and make sure fins, etc. are clean of trash, etc. and ignition wires are not damaged.
Best way to verify loss of ignition is to purchase an inexpensive spark tester (avail from most any small engine shop/dealer) that inserts between plug and plug wire. You can then observe presence (or lack of) during actual engine operation (the most reliable way) before starting to buy expensive replacement parts.....

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark #3  
check your spark first either using a spark tester or holding the plug against a metal object,be sure to check when tractor stalls,you can back off the engine shroud and pull the grd wire off the coil if no spark then then prob the coil

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark
Yeah I'm in the process of removing the engine shroud. Trying to get a few parts diagrams online to see how many things I need to disconnect. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I see when I'm finished.

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark
Well I'm having trouble pulling the engine shroud/blower housing back. I was able to pull it back some, but it seems to be hung up at the bottom. I've checked many times and all the screws are removed.
So how far back do I need to be able to pull the top of the engine shroud to be able to change the ignition module? Here's a picture of how far I've been able to pull back the shroud: DSC00185.jpg Will I have enough room to line it up properly with the fly wheel or is there a way to get this shroud off further? Thank you.

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark #6  
might get the engine full model #, type #, S/N, etc., off the engine ID plate/decal - go to the kohler engine website - d/l free copies of the serv and parts manuals for your engine to help you...

/ Cub Cadet 2135 Stalling then losing Spark #7  
Yes, I had exactly the same problem. It was the coil. Next time it has to come out, I'm cutting the shroud in half. Dumb universal design which requires taking the tractor in half to remove a sheet metal shroud.

Two things to try before spending $50 on a coil. With the engine running, insert a hose sprayer in the air intake on the lower left side of the shroud. Wash out all the dirt and grass. Then, with a piece of sandpaper on a stick, sand the rust off the flywheel. Often this will make the problem go away.

jack vines