2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #1  

Jack Vines

Bronze Member
Did a search and it didn't pop out at me. I've leveled the deck on my 2135 a couple of times, just going around and around, back and forth. I'm guessing there is a factory-recommended procedure which says, "Start by measuring the XXX. Then adjust the R/L side to the same height, then move to the F/R and do the same." Anyone know how it's supposed to be done in the shortest time and least effort?

And what's the "deck height measuring devices JD dealers sell" look like?

jack vines

Last edited:
   / 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #2  
its in yer owner's manual.

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step
its in yer owner's manual.

Yes, that's undoubtedly true; but I bought the HDS2135 used, no owner's manual. The decal is missing from under the seat, and the MTD archives website requires a serial number to download the manual. That's why I hoped someone might generously share a link.

jack vines

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #4  
Be on a level floor.

Check tire pressure.

Set deck to desired cutting height.

Turn blades so they are facing the sides and measure. Adjust it so the are within 1/8''.

Turn the blades so are facing the front and measure. Adjust if so the front it 1/8-1/4''.

JOHN DEERE & MTD lawn mower deck leveling gauge on eBay!

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step
Thanks to both. The gauge is definitely easier than a machinists telescoping snap gauge ;>P)

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #7  
Inside calipers have a multitude of uses including this procedure

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #8  
Jack, on the Cub Cadet ot MTD web site if you just put in a bogus number for the serial number it will tell you it does not recognize the number and bring up a list of year ranges to choose from.

/ 2000-Series mower deck leveling procedure - anyone got a link to the shop manual step #9