Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch #1  

DeanKC

Tractor
Kioti LB1914
My 2010 LTX 1045 just turned 100 hours. After servicing (Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Gas Filter, New Blades, Complete Grease Job) I decided to clean the headlight lens. On this model, there is no switch; the headlights have been on for 100 hours. I was surprised to see melting of the plastic at the socket locations. See attached pictures. CubCadet Light Socket.jpgCubCadet Switch.jpgCubCadet Wire Switch.jpg The additional of a switch should keep the issue from getting worse.

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch #2  
I agree, most likely some unknown govt regulatory agency demanded lights on for safety or 'we'll look at your books and hiring practices' so it seems every manufacturer did the minimum effort overnight.

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch #3  
That is about the easiest thing in the world to do, put in a switch similar to the toggle switch on the dash now for the lights. Replace the melted light housing to prevent shorting out later.

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch
2nd easiest. I could have just clipped the hot wire and taped it. The factory assembly was superb! It is still like new. When delivered, all the specs were right on. At 100 hours, they still are.

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch #5  
Dean - some time back, CC did have a dash light switch position incorporated into the ignition switch. When they introduced the RevTech feature, they decided to use that ignition position for it and at the same time full time power the headlites with a separate AC circuit coming directly off the engine alternator, running all the time (no switch). Idea was to keep mfg cost down.
I think a good number of the other mower mfgrs did essentially the same thing around the same time....
Like yerself, I would just break the circuit instead of drilling holes in the dash and running more wiring, etc. .....

Always have plenty of wire, crimp connectors, and toggle switches laying around. Also had some of that flexible conduit from some wires that must have fallen off from under the seat a couple of years ago (the only thing that fell apart on this machine ;)). The dash location was easiest place to install the switch; out by the first socket was the most convenient place to clip & crimp in the switch wires.

/ Why All LTX Models Should Have A Headlight Switch #7  
I don't know if the CC had it or not, but the first MTD riders that came out with the operater reverse override system, (the one were you turn the key back one position, and push the button) the headlight circuit is what the system ran through, and if both bulbs burned out, or were unplugged for various reasons the reverse override wouldn't work.

Randy, that's very interesting. While I didn't engage the PTO, I did drive it to its garage and back it in with headlights switched off. Parts of the yard is really dry and I didn't feel like getting the freshly cleaned up machine all dirty, especially the brand new air filter & pre-filter. Most disagreeable thing is washing that sponge, oiling it, wringing it, then getting oil all over when fitting it back into place.