Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ?

/ Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ? #1  

billp64

Tractor
M/F C/cadet
I am trying to find a problem with the engine it will spit and spudder under load and die if not under load you can sometimes keep running with the choke new plugs begining of season just changed fuel filter and seems to not have enough gas in filter only a small amount and i remember the filter normally running about 3/4 full was wondering if i could take line off other side of fuel pump and shouldnt it have flow with the engine cranking mower about 7 yrs old may just need new fuel pump thanks for any help

/ Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ? #2  
If you remove the fuel line between the pump and carb, and crank engine you should have fuel flow. Low flow or no flow would indicate a fuel pump problem, or bad vacuum line from fuel pump to crankcase, if vacuum pump.

From your description of the problem you have fuel problem. either bad, pump, cracked fuel line between tank and pump, or dirty carb.

/ Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ? #3  
OP -
1) make SURE you have an OEM fuel filter installed for that Kohler engine. They are picky about such.
2) Remove fuel line at carb. Crank engine. Catch fuel in container. Flow should be strong. If not, replace/repair fuel line/pump/filter back to tank.
3) If fuel flow good, remove and dis-asassemble carb. soak overnite in carb cleaner. Probe ALL orifices with small dia stiff brass wire using magnifying glass. Blow everything out clean with compressed air. Rebuilt carb using new kit and ALL new gaskets/seats. Retest. Prob was most likely a partially blocked load jet passage.

/ Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ? #4  
I was having a similar problem on a Kohler Command a couple of weeks ago. I know my fuel filter usually only has a very small amount of gas in it. I split the line before the filter and drained the filter and the line back to the tank, pulled the line from the tank and blew it out. When I hooked it all back up to see if the pump would push into the filter it started up and has been running fine since, didn't feel any blockage when I blew it out and didn't see anything obvious. Looking at the filter there can't be more than a teaspoon of gas in it even when it's running.

/ Cub Cadet GT1554 27hp kohler courage with fuel prob. ? #5  
Look for the fuel flow direction arrow on the new fuel filter and makes sure you did not inadvertently install backwards.