1864 issues

/ 1864 issues #1  

andrew77

Tractor
john deere 210
I'm working on an 1864. It runs for several hours under load then shuts down. It will start back up but you have to have full choke or let it sit 5 minutes and it starts normally. After an hour it starts acting up again. I tried new plugs and fuel pump and checked spark, which is fine. Not sure if anybody else has had this problem.

/ 1864 issues #2  
You might try loosening the gas cap to see if that helps. If the vent is plugged it will gradually build up a vacuum and starve for fuel. After sitting awhile the pressure equalizes in the tank and the cycle starts over again. Just a possibility.

Bob B.

/ 1864 issues
Ok thanks. I've never had a tractor do this. Usually they just die completely.

/ 1864 issues #4  
Bob's tip is most likely the fix... if not, two other possibilities: 1) replace all flexible fuel lines from carb to tank (old line may be collapsing). 2) remove engine cooling cowling sheet metal and clean fins (also new carb air cleaner)....

/ 1864 issues
the fuel cap didnt work. I have 145-150lbs of compression on both cylinders. The breather seems to be pushing out more oil than usual. ill try the lines and cleaning next. I pulled the air cleaner. It was oily, so I ran it without replacing. It will run then start to spit and sputter, backfire, then clear up. 10 to 15 mi later shut down, but restarts fine.

/ 1864 issues #6  
you just may have found the problem replace the air cleaner!

/ 1864 issues #7  
the fuel cap didnt work. I have 145-150lbs of compression on both cylinders. The breather seems to be pushing out more oil than usual. ill try the lines and cleaning next. I pulled the air cleaner. It was oily, so I ran it without replacing. It will run then start to spit and sputter, backfire, then clear up. 10 to 15 mi later shut down, but restarts fine.
It sounds like a fuel problem. Fuel lines get old and crack or the hoses collapse or swell inside blocking fuel delivery. I don,t know if your tractor has a fuel pump but that could be a problem. You can pull the line off the carb and check the fuel delivery. You can prove if it's a fuel problem by spraying starting fluid in the carb intake when it starts to die and see if it speeds up.

Bob B.

/ 1864 issues #8  
I have a 1864 also, it had the same problem. I found that the fuel shut off valves on the bottom of the tank
were corroded shut from setting for 3 yrs, had to replace them and all the fuel lines. also check the shut down sol valve on back of carb to see if it has 12vdc and is not losing power, the coil might be going open.
Stew