LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #1  

jaredyates

Tractor
Mahindra 1526, Kubota M7040
Lately our disposable tractor has been making itself a more suitable candidate for disposal. I was replacing the steering bushing when I noticed that the oil was leaking more than usual, and that it was coming from a 2" crack in the block. The crack runs vertically and starts at the junction with the top plate, on the right side of the engine near the middle. I stuck some JB weld on it, since I don't have much to lose, and with any luck, maybe that will get me through the mowing season here in NC. At any rate, now I'm at a crossroads. Should I replace the block? Should I replace the engine? If I replace the engine, should I replace it with the same one, or will a better engine fit in that mower? If so, what kind of donor mower should I be looking for? The Cub's model number is 13AX11CG710 and the serial number is 1J236H10462. It's a 2006 manufacture LT1042 with about 175 hours, and the engine is the single cylinder Kohler Courage. I gather that the block itself is part number KH-20-522-01, but I haven't been able to find any pricing on just that part. I'll call the folks that I purchased it from on Monday to see if they can get it. KH-SV590-0003 is the replacement engine, for a mere $900. Another option would be to cut losses and sell this machine (and my spares for it) to offset the purchase of a hustler or maybe a compact tractor with a bucket and finish mower. Can anyone add any insight, maybe something that I'm not thinking of?

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions
This morning the dealer says that he can get the block, but it's over $600. Looks like rebuilding the engine is off the table.

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #3  
1. Evaluate the overall condition, deck, tires, steering, transaxle. Is it worth fixing? If you saw one just like it for sale, how much would you pay for it?

2. Do some research and develop a list of all the other Cub Cadet models, plus MTD and any others using the same basic engine. Looking for a PTO clutch for my 2135, I recently bought a similar but later running 2166 tractor for $210 with a new PTO clutch. Now, I've got backup parts for everything for less than the cost of a new clutch.

3. Find a welder. I've had dozens of motorcycle cases welded with worse damage than yours.

jack vines

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #4  
Kohler had issues with the bucket block engine due to improperly torqued cover screw. The cracked block was very common, with a few even breaking the entire cylinder loose from the block. There are a few of the bucket engines that they discontinued the short block for due to ongoing problems.

There are probably other engines out there that will replace your engine without major mods.

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #5  
kohler will warrenty the block prob not the labour i have replaced about 1/2 doz courage block's with crack's or the counter weight blow's apart .just did one with a crack on a 06 model

Thanks everyone, I have been in touch with Kohler, and they say that they probably will be able to help. I have to take it to the repair place and have their Kohler rep examine it, and then will have to let them do the work. This will probably take a while, but with it being late in the season I might be able to get by without it for a while. In my area, donor mowers are going for 900-1100, which doesn't make that route especially appealing, unless I can upgrade to a better design with mostly common parts.

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #7  
kohler will warrenty the block prob not the labour i have replaced about 1/2 doz courage block's with crack's or the counter weight blow's apart .just did one with a crack on a 06 model

Thanks for posting. That's why a site such as this is so valuable. Most owners would never know that was a possibility.

jack vines

/ LT1042 Cracked Block, Hard Decisions #8  
Maybe some of the good welders will advise on the feasibility of welding the crack.

I have the capability of welding the crack myself, but having read about the loose bolt failure, I'm concerned about possible further damage in the block, such as misalignment of the crank and bearings that may have occured while the bolts were loose. I spoke with the local dealer today, and he said he has replaced blocks of this vintage and this failure through Kohler's extended warranty before. I'll report back if that falls through, or if it works, if I can remember!

I had meant to follow up sooner, but I had forgotten about my post here until someone reminded me about it. It turns out that the dealer was able to get the short block from Kohler. The final bill for the labor and shop consumables was somewhere around $280 if I remember correctly.