starter dead?

/ starter dead? #1  

bruski

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota b2400HSD
I have a seven year old 1500 series garden tractor. Today it clicks only when I try to start it. I have made sure the battery is charged and even tried to jump it with the Kubota CUT. Still clicks only. Interestingly it shows a voltage drop (if the meter on the cub is to be believed) when jumping, then back to 12.1, but no action. The starter has been making horrible knocking sounds periodically recently so I figured it was going out. Is this a reasonable assumption?

/ starter dead? #2  
I have a seven year old 1500 series garden tractor. Today it clicks only when I try to start it. I have made sure the battery is charged and even tried to jump it with the Kubota CUT. Still clicks only. Interestingly it shows a voltage drop (if the meter on the cub is to be believed) when jumping, then back to 12.1, but no action. The starter has been making horrible knocking sounds periodically recently so I figured it was going out. Is this a reasonable assumption?
No not to me. I learned a long time ago not to assume anything when troubleshooting any problem.

The most likely reason is a bad cable connection. But the easiest way to find out is with a digital multimeter.

Watch this video, it will show you how to find the problem. :thumbsup:

Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

/ starter dead?
It was the starter . . . .