Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #1  

klink

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 660,JD 4110 Hydro - JD 670 gear - 48 Farmall Cub - 51 Farmall H - John Deere 50 - JD X540 JD X580 AC 917 WH 81 Cub Cadet 1541 & 70
I have a Cub Cadet 1541 with a very slow reverse speed. I was wandering if anyone has ever found a way to speed the reverse speed a little faster. I realize that reverse should be slower than forward speeds, but mine is really slow in reverse. Any insight on this problem is welcome.
klink

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #2  
There are several possible reasons as to why? To remove the cover in front of the seat over the tunnel you might be able to see what has worn.

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #3  
On many Cub Cadets the reverse speed is a adjustable. On my 2135, there is a linkage right under the pedal with two bolts. I loosened the two bolts, lengthened the stroke and now it's swift in reverse.

jack vines

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #4  
HPIM0765.JPGHPIM0766.JPGOn many of the hydrostatic drive tractors the linkage adjustment is a compromise between forward and backward speeds. If you adjust it for a higher reverse speed the forward speed will drop. I adjusted my 3235 for the minimum reverse speed that I could tolerate to achieve the maximum forward speed which ,of course, is where most of the mowing is done. I fabricated a simple extension to the reverse pedal which gave me an increase in the reverse speed.Attached are pictures of the bracket.

Bob B.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow
Thanks guys for the comments - my 1541 has a hand operated hydrostat handle - but the same linkage principles should apply - I will look at my linkage soon - I didn't want to mess it up and cause neutral creeping. tractor only has 260 hrs. on it, so I wasn't thinking about wear in linkage yet. but it might have. any other comments are welcome.
Klink

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #6  
Was reverse always slow, or did it gradually become that way ? A friend of ours had the same complaint, on the same tractor, and when I had a look at it, and cleared out all the grass that had accumulated behind the lever that should of activated reverse, reverse magically started working again. He was very happen that he didn,t have to spend any money. Just took a bit of time to clean it out with an air compressor. Hope your fix is this easy. Have a look under your tractor, where the linkage is attached to the reverse control, and see if there is anything keeping it from traveling the full distance that it could.

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #7  
I have a 1994 1641 that was slow in reverse. Asked my dealer about it many years ago and he said I should switch to the Cub Cadet synthetic drive lube. Did that and it made a big difference. Probably provides better lubrication to boot.

/ Cub Cadet 1541 reverse speed very slow #8  
I have a 1994 1641 that was slow in reverse. Asked my dealer about it many years ago and he said I should switch to the Cub Cadet synthetic drive lube. Did that and it made a big difference. Probably provides better lubrication to boot.
The last gallon of synthetic Drive System Plus I bought at the dealer was $48.00. I took the advice of several other posters and have been using Mobil 1 20W50 synthetic oil for the last couple years with no problems. The 50 weight is hard to find but I bought 2 5-quart jugs at a Walmart for $24.97 each. One poster actually had a Cub dealer suggest that to him.

Bob B.