Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one?

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #1  

mastercraftka

Silver Member
Tractor
1993 JD 6400 4wd
I have a cub cadet zero turn that is made by MTD and it has a Briggs V twin intek 22hp engine that is blown. Anyone have experience replacing these and where I could get the best deal on a new engine?

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #3  
I buy my engines from Equipatron. They are really competitive, have great shipping, and have no problem taking back an engine. Can't ask for more than that.

Last edited:
   / Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #4  
   / Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one?
Thanks for all the information guys. Ya I am just trying to find a good price but don't want to sacrifice warranty.

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #6  
Here is a few from the Surplus Center that may work. They are also a TBN sponsor.

Surplus Center

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #7  
"www.smallenginewarehouse.com"

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #8  
mastercraftka,

My ZForce 48 has been repowered by the PO, the original 22HP engine was tossed, and a new 26 HP B&S installed. I can't say how the original engine performed, but with the additional 4 horses on the repower the unit has never bogged down. I even cut a hill with a 42 degree grade going straight up and reversing back down. There is no indication whatsoever of the engine straining going up the grade. Then again, having never tried the grade with the original 22 HP engine, I can't say how it would have performed.

What I'm getting at is that you may well find a larger engine that will fit the mower at a great price. Don't discount it just because its not a 22. It may prove to be a better choice price wise and power wise.

I can advise you to ensure that the single wire from the hour meter needs to be just zip tied to one of the spark plug wires to power the hour meter, if so equipped (don't strip the wire or attach it in any fashion other than to use a zip tie or electrician's tape. It picks up the spark through the insulation and triggers the hour meter to advance based on the engine rpm's. Mine had never been connected correctly after the repower, and it took some research to discover how to get it to work.

Good Luck!

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one?
mastercraftka,

My ZForce 48 has been repowered by the PO, the original 22HP engine was tossed, and a new 26 HP B&S installed. I can't say how the original engine performed, but with the additional 4 horses on the repower the unit has never bogged down. I even cut a hill with a 42 degree grade going straight up and reversing back down. There is no indication whatsoever of the engine straining going up the grade. Then again, having never tried the grade with the original 22 HP engine, I can't say how it would have performed.

What I'm getting at is that you may well find a larger engine that will fit the mower at a great price. Don't discount it just because its not a 22. It may prove to be a better choice price wise and power wise.

I can advise you to ensure that the single wire from the hour meter needs to be just zip tied to one of the spark plug wires to power the hour meter, if so equipped (don't strip the wire or attach it in any fashion other than to use a zip tie or electrician's tape. It picks up the spark through the insulation and triggers the hour meter to advance based on the engine rpm's. Mine had never been connected correctly after the repower, and it took some research to discover how to get it to work.

Good Luck!

I appreciate all the advice. I have an RZT 50. As far as going with a larger engine when I was looking for a replacement I didn't find many 22hp engines I found more 27hps. I need to make sure that the shaft is the correct size I am sure but will the 27hp mount on there? Also from my existing model number engine can I tell what size the shaft is, I have looked and cannot find it. I have yet to pull the engine off and actually measure. the model number is 441777 0428 e1

/ Zero turn mower needs a new engine, Where is the best place to get one? #10  
You should be able to find a used engine easily. With the hydros failing so soon on these mowers, there are a lot of good used engines to be had.