Engine Went Today on 3204 Series

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
It's been coming for a long time... and today at 760 hrs. engine called it retirement.
It still barely runs enough to move it a few feet....rods are knocking bad, no oil pressure, and sounds like one head gasket blew on starter side
.... need opinions....tractor is in very good condition...had the typical O-rings replaced by dealer in the top of tranny last summer...
mower deck has new belt and idler pulley and a new spindle bearing , and seal... BUT
is it worth it to put a new Kohler crate engine in ?
Anyone been in this situation ?
Oh..one more thing....anyone know the shaft on the CH 20 engine....
is it 3" by 1/18 ?
I called Kohler, and they said the engine in the 3204 series was obsolete in 2011, so they won't sell me one.
But there must be a Command engine that will fit.
All comments appreciated.
Pete Hudson Valley NY

Last edited:
   / Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #2  
Many times you can find good used engines for lawnmowers for less than $500. Or find a good engine with a blown transmission and swap out and have some spare parts for your mower. I think I would swap it out if I could find one that would fit for $500 or less. ANY more than that I don't think it would be worth it.

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #3  
Oh, if the transaxles are not perfect then it isn't worth the effort as they would cost as much as a new mower to replace.

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #5  
Wow that's an early retirement for a Kohler Command engine......the cub 3000 series had multiple Kohler engines in them, I don't see any reason why you can't swap in a different Kohler motor. As others have said, find a low hour machine with bad tranny, or just order new from small engine warehouse.....always check eBay as well.....

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series
Thanks...I'm not giving up on tractor just yet...going to see how the numbers work out.
I'd rather go with new engine ...afraid of getting another formally abused engine.

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series
Does anyone know of a formal, or informal cross reference guide to matching old Kohler Command engines with new ?
Pete

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #8  
Pete - don't think I've ever seen such a cross-ref... but, kohler does keep a good set of documents for each of their engine models on their website, including dimensions, parts lists, etc... and as you run across possible substitute engine candidates, wouldn't take too long to d/l the detail for you to make a comparison - all you need are the engine p/n details off it's ID plate...?

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #9  
The best way to match up a new Kohler is check the crankshaft size of the old engine, and find engines with that size crank. Most likely 1 1/8 or 1 7/16. Then find if you also need some sort of drive from the flywheel end. Like a stub shaft or drive shaft adapter. Does the old engine have fuel pump, then make sure the new engine has fuel pump. Find an engine with those features, with your crankshaft size and about everything else can be adapted.

Panel or basic engines with the throttle and key switch on the engine can be converted to remove start and throttle. If the crankshaft is too long, it can be shortened. If somebody wants to do some engineering, you can about fit any engine in anything.

You may be able to even install one of the new EFI engines in your mower.

/ Engine Went Today on 3204 Series #10  
Wow, only 760 hours - I'd expect any Kohler, with regular maintenance, to wear out the transaxle and driveline. I've got 12hp and 16hp Kohler singles with way more hours than that which still run strong and don't make noise. The Kohler 7hp on my Troybilt is more than 40 years old; same story. Usually all they ask is fresh oil in the spring.

The real champion is my 40+ year-old Briggs & Stratton with more than 2000 hours and it still starts immediately and runs strong.

jack vines