Cub GT2500

/ Cub GT2500 #1  

mhart

Silver Member
Hey guys

I have a cub 2500 series. It is working ok but 2-3 times during the course of a 1 hour mowing session the blades will just cut off. I turn them back on and go about mowing no problem. It has also blown a couple fuses this year.

About a year ago the front PTO belt busted and stripped off the wires to the headlights. I have the wires all taped up. Maybe this has something to do with it?

/ Cub GT2500 #2  
Same problem here. The PTO seems to be overheating and/or needing more voltage to pull back on.

1. Pull the plug on the back of the PTO switch and spray with contact cleaner. Even a bit of corrosion can lower the voltage.

2. Pull the plug on the PTO and do the same.

3. Accept that PTOs are a wear part and will have to be replaced eventually.

4. Never engage the PTO with the engine revved. The ******** design of having the PTO disengage upon reversing insures the PTO will get way more wear than needed.

jack vines

/ Cub GT2500
Thanks jack.

I will do this to the PTO switch. Can I use corrosion-x for this? Also being a tractor novice, where is the plug for the PTO as opposed to the PTO switch?

I do hate that you can't mow in reverse!

/ Cub GT2500 #4  
Disable the safety switch and you can mow in reverse...Bob

/ Cub GT2500 #5  
Over the years literally every switch on the machine has failed and cause a no-start or non-operational condition. I've rewired the whole thing and now there is one new for the off-on-start and one new for the PTO off-on. So yes, the PTO remains engaged when reversing. I'm now having trouble with the two-wire plug which goes into the PTO. Haven't found a replacement for it.

jack vines

/ Cub GT2500
Thanks. Can you take me through how to disable the safety switch?

/ Cub GT2500 #7  
I don't know your Cub's year or model number. Switch should be where transmission and rod from your foot pedal meet. Google Messicks....they have parts diagrams for Cub Cadet (among others)....enter your info...year, model, etc, to view detailed diagrams..

I have a totally different mower...but all you need to do disconnect the wires from switch, tape the ends up and secure them safely away from moving parts....Hill Billy Bob