Belt breakage ... ltx1050

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #1  

Johntodd

Tractor
Cub Cadet LTX1050
Hi! My deck belt keeps breaking on my LTX1050. I've been over it closely; there are no sharp edges and no obvious signs of damage.

When it doesn't break, it throws! Thrown a lot this year on ground that is "just some grass". A friend of mine suggested that uneven ground (which I have) and lowering the deck may cause the deck to wobble too much and throw a belt. Is that a possibility? And what about breakage? 4th belt in 3 years!

Thanks so much!
-Johntodd

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #2  
Do you have the right belt? The deck and drive belts need to be Kevlar not just a regular V belt.
Also I buy my belts online and they are half price or less plus free shipping!
Have you checked the idler pulley to make sure the bearings are still good?

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050
That's the (un)funny thing about it. Everything seems to be OK, including the idler.= and the spring, etc. But I must add that I am a novice at this. I can take it all apart, sharpen blades, put it all together again, and do routine maintenance and servicing, but that's novice-level stuff. Maybe something is happening that my eyes simply "don't see"?

I have the right belt, according to the manufacturer. I get them online at Amazon. IDK if they are Kevlar, they are simply matching numbers.

Newbie question: are there different "grades" of belts. IOW, can I get the same matching number belt in a better "grade" that would last longer?

Also, another newbie question: Would uneven ground cause my deck to wobble enough to stress things on/around the belt?

Thanks!
-Johntodd

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #4  
is it being cut or broke?

are all spindles straight? are the pulley edges round, and not sharp,

this was not your unit but on a JD, mower,
a few years ago I had a brain Fart, and some how ran the belt was ran out side of the attachment rod, and it was rubbing on the rod and wore out the belt fast and broke one,

I'll check on things tomorrow. Big storm tonight.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #6  
OP - those amazon belts you are using... yeah, they may match the CC p/n, but usually not a good practice to substitute aftermarket belts for OEM in the case of deck drive belts which are amoung the hardest worked belts on a L&G tractor. Another thing to look for is a sticking pivoting idler pulley arm not keeping consistent belt tension.. BTW, you mention rough ground - are you hitting many hard objects with blades (sticks,stones, etc.)?

Is there a better quality aftermarket belt? Like a "Kevlar super duty reinforced bullet proof belt"? :)

The ground is just uneven. Not hitting anything. But the unevenness is enough to make me wear boots to lessen the chance of a twisted ankle, even though it's unlikely that would ever happen anyway. It's just an old farm, that's all. Last time it was "graded" was before WWII, so it's got its splotches of character in the ground.

My idler pivot has been greased on the part that slides. Didn't make any difference re: belt breakage.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #8  
well, john - just a comment that you may not like - the tractor is a relatively light duty lawn tractor - won't stand up to rough terrain as you describe for too long. Might be better off with a bush hog or investing in smoothin up that landscape?
As to aftermarket kevlar belts, really dunno - never got into such. Good luck.

You're right, I don't like that. These things cost a fortune from my perspective. It's just a lawn to mow. I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with this. I'll start by keeping the deck at the highest position always. It's good for the grass, and I don't have to have a golf course lawn.

But thanks anyways. I really do appreciate people trying to help.

-Johntodd

/ Belt breakage ... ltx1050 #10  
John, I too have have uneven ground to mow, old pasture land that is now called lawn. My mower is a LT1050..the predecessor of yours. It wouldn't surprise me if they share the same deck. Don't think that your problem is the ground your cutting, unless your deck is not adjusted right, and all of it's wheels are in contact with the ground, all the time. If your land is as bumpy as mine, I imagine you mow at a leisurely pace...not scootin' along at 6 or 7mph.

The posts above pretty much covered where to look for problems...something is not right...I have more problems with the transmission belt (get 300 hours out of them), than I do with the deck belt (400+ hours). I do run Kevlar belts. My old 1050 has over 930 hours on it now...will be at 1000 or more by the end of this season......Hill Billy Bob