can't mow in reverse

/ can't mow in reverse #1  

bobbrown6283

Tractor
cub lt1018, JD l118
I have a cub lt1018, the PTO disengages when I try & go in reverse, I'm replacing the PTO switch tonight, but the mower has never mowed in reverse, could it be a bad safety switch for reverse, or was the mower just made to not mow in reverse, none the less, I just want to mow in reverse, I would just assume hard wire it where it always mows in reverse while the pto is engaged, any suggestions ??

/ can't mow in reverse #2  
More than likely it wasn't made to mow going backwards. Mine has an extra key position for mowing backwards though.

/ can't mow in reverse #3  
I have a cub lt1018, the PTO disengages when I try & go in reverse, I'm replacing the PTO switch tonight, but the mower has never mowed in reverse, could it be a bad safety switch for reverse, or was the mower just made to not mow in reverse, none the less, I just want to mow in reverse, I would just assume hard wire it where it always mows in reverse while the pto is engaged, any suggestions ??

You are not going to get too many people to go out on a limb here with a topic like this in these litigious times. You are pretty much going to have to figure this one out yourself. The reason your mower will not mow in reverse is so you will not mow over a child or careless adult. I have seen it happen.

/ can't mow in reverse #4  
If you have a manual it will likely tell you that cutting out the PTO in reverse is a safety feature and whether or not there is an extra key position to defeat it as mentioned. If not it likely would be very simple to defeat the reverse switch. I would do this simply to save clutch life. The PTO switch is likely not the problem, there is probably a separate switch near reverse pedal/lever.

/ can't mow in reverse #5  
doesnt this mower have a push switch for reverse on ? some cubs have them. otherwise its up to you to find the switch for reverse that gets depressed to be altered. just remember - defeating the swtich wont allow you to sue the cub cadet for hurting someone .

/ can't mow in reverse #6  
Way back in February, 1995, I bought a Cub Cadet and when I found the PTO disengaged every time I hit reverse and then had to turn the PTO off and back on when I started forward again, I was not happy and told the dealer I probably would not have bought it if I'd known that. He said he couldn't disable that function but that there was a switch under the battery that could be unplugged. However it was in the shop for something else and when I picked it up, the mechanic told me he had disconnected that switch "but don't tell my boss or I'll deny it.":D So it can be "fixed"; I'm just not sure how myself since someone else fixed mine.

/ can't mow in reverse #7  
A friend had a John Deere garden tractor that he said had the same problem as yours.

What has to be done in his case was to pull on the PTO switch and as soon as you start going backwards you can release it and the mower will stay running even while going backwards.

I would be very surprised if yours didn't work the same way.

/ can't mow in reverse #8  
doesnt this mower have a push switch for reverse on ? some cubs have them. otherwise its up to you to find the switch for reverse that gets depressed to be altered. just remember - defeating the swtich wont allow you to sue the cub cadet for hurting someone .

^ Clue no.1

Clue no.2: When you unplug a switch, the circuit thinks the switch is always open. When you unplug a switch and short/ jumper the plug terminals, the circuit thinks the switch is always closed.

Presently, when you press reverse it either opens or closes that switch and turns OFF (clue no. 3) the PTO circuit.

/ can't mow in reverse #9  
In the forseeable future, the PTO switch will fail to pull in or won't allow the engine to start and and you'll not have to worry about the switch on the reverse pedal disengaging.

The following is not intended as advice, but yes, each switch on the machine failed multiple times; each instance rendering the machine useless. I had to remove all the various switches to keep the machine operating.

jack vines

/ can't mow in reverse #10  
I would without fail, find that switch and disabling it. I sure don't want my mower cutting off every time I have to back up whether I want to mow in reverse or not, I want the blades turning when the PTO is engaged. The driver should be looking behind him when he backs up AND children should not be out in the yard when the mower is running. I don't see much issue of running over someone unless you just don't ever look at your surroundings, but the mower throwing rocks or other debris IS a much more dangerous situation whereby no one other than the operator should be anywhere within 100 feet of a mowing operation.

Not long ago, some guy posted that his Zero Turn wouldn't shut off when in reverse like he wanted it too. There is just no way for a switch to be installed on a ZTR mower that shuts off in reverse as you are constantly reversing at least one wheel to turn unless it turned the mower off each time you turned. In that case no one would buy one.
If it is safe to mow in reverse with a ZTR then it should be safe to mow with a tractor type. TO me that feature is just another of the BIG BROTHER actions that are totally unnecessary, Just like the confounded new gas can pour spouts.