Cub 1040 won't go forward or reverse

/ Cub 1040 won't go forward or reverse #1  

KBM80J

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1040
Mowing yesterday on a slight incline and it felt like the pedal disengauged and went to the floor. The mower slowly started down the incline, brakes worked fine and the mower continued to run. I haven't had a chance to remove the deck to check but thought I felt some sort of belt going from the back (transmission) to the front. Is there such a belt and if so, can I replace it myself. THought this was a good place to start. Thanks

/ Cub 1040 won't go forward or reverse #2  
Yes. There is typically a belt running from the engine to the rear on most mowers. Could be rather rough getting one back on however. If I remember correctly on my fathers 10 year old jd mower he had to remove the steering column or some other semipermanent piece. Good luck. Hope it's easier on the cub.

/ Cub 1040 won't go forward or reverse #3  
I had a ~2008yr LT1042 that did that - there is a tension spring that goes to a pulley that the drive belt goes past. If the belt looks good check for the spring. Mine broke. Couple of $ for a new spring and 10 minutes (probably 8 minutes figuring out where the spring actually went) and I was set.