Cub Cadet GT2544 Start and Immediate Shut Down

/ Cub Cadet GT2544 Start and Immediate Shut Down #1  

jjrphs

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT-2544
New to the forum and my 1st post. At the beginning of this season, my CC GT2544 began to act up at start-up with shut down within a few seconds. In the past, my GT2544 would always fire and run on the 1st turn of the ignition key with full choke......now it was taking 4-5 cycles to get the mower running. The symptoms suggested to me it was a fuel quality or fuel delivery problem. At first I thought it might be due to the tankful of gas I treated with Sta-Bil when I put it up last fall, but when it persisted with each time I went to use the mower, I then turned my attention to the fuel filter which hadn't been replaced in a couple years. I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter....but there was no change in the symptoms.

At that point, I began to think fuel pump, but before I went about throwing expensive parts at this problem; I decided to get on the net to do some research and I found this site......and this thread specifically, for which I am most grateful I found:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet-l-g/218593-gt2544-engine-problem.html

I learned 2 things from the above thread: 1. I wasn't aware the carburetor on my mower had an "after-fire solenoid" and 2. The ignition switch was responsible for getting the current to this solenoid to energize it.

The ignition switch on the GT2544 is a 4-position switch with the additional "reverse" position. I decided to check "reverse" and "normal" to see if the I display would come on with either of those 2 key settings......the "normal" position which is the position right beside "start" showed no display -and- with the key in the "reverse" position, the display would come on and I could hear the solenoid click. BINGO!

Next I decided to fire up the mower.....only this time I decided to immediately move the key to the "reverse" position after the mower fired. SUCCESS! With the key immediately moved back to the center "reverse" position.....my GT2544 continued to run and did not shut down!

So, the "normal" key position was working intermittently and had been getting worse with regard to completing the circuit for the display and the after-fire solenoid. Until I receive the new ignition module I've ordered......I'll just move the key to the center "reverse" position immediately after start-up.

Thanks for this board and the valuable information it's contributors post........it really came in handy to diagnose my shut-off problem.

/ Cub Cadet GT2544 Start and Immediate Shut Down #2  
X2 on getting some good answers here.

FWIW, the wiring and or electrical system has been the single glaring weakness on my 2135. Before I determined the switches were at fault, I replaced the $55 ignition coil. Year-by-year, literally every switch and connector in the system has failed and been replaced, first with another OEM which failed and finally eliminated or replaced with aftermarket.

If I'd not been able to fault-trace and rewire myself, the machine would have been junked long ago. This switch and wiring weakness is unfortunate; mechanically, it's a tank and has run hard over rough ground for many years.

jack vines