Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553

/ Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553 #1  

JIMA51

Tractor
Cub Cadet SLT 1554
I replaced a new battery on my mower when the battery kept losing charge and mower shut down. I replaced the battery and i mowed my lawn about 2 acres, and it worked fine. On the second mow approx 4 days later the same thing happened, I put the charger on it and when charged I tried to get it to start and it did. But as soon as i pulled the charger off it died off again. Anyone know what could be a possible problem, have no idea what is causing this to happen out of no where. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
:confused:

Last edited:
   / Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553 #2  
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the battery terminals for about 12.6 volts. Then check again at the end of the positive battery cable at the starter terminal and the minus meter lead on the frame. The voltage should be close to the first reading within .5 volts. If not you may have a bad cable or bad connection . With the engine running you should get 13.5 volts or higher. Also check for parasitic loads which can drain the battery when the tractor is not being used. Disconnect one of the cables at the battery and check that there is no spark when touching the cable to the battery. Connecting the meter between the battery post and the disconnected cable should not show any voltage if nothing is drawing current.

Bob B.

/ Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the battery terminals for about 12.6 volts. Then check again at the end of the positive battery cable at the starter terminal and the minus meter lead on the frame. The voltage should be close to the first reading within .5 volts. If not you may have a bad cable or bad connection . With the engine running you should get 13.5 volts or higher. Also check for parasitic loads which can drain the battery when the tractor is not being used. Disconnect one of the cables at the battery and check that there is no spark when touching the cable to the battery. Connecting the meter between the battery post and the disconnected cable should not show any voltage if nothing is drawing current.

Bob B.

Hello, Bob B. first of all i want to thank you for replying to my request. I have tried all the steps that you mentioned and all passed with the exception of the last step which failed, when i disconnected the negative cable and checked it again from the positive cable bolted to the terminal to the negative cable unbolted from the post and it was showing various numbers bouncing all over. Do I need to remove housing cover and check wiring there or wiring going to the dash to the switch for ignition and reverse cut switch. I know this indicates a parasitic load, but not sure where to start. Thanks again for any suggestions. I am going to check the fuses my chart tells me i got two of them, 20 amp and a 5 amp.

Jim A

/ Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553 #4  
Jim, I'm not sure if I understand exactly where you are measuring. If you have the negative battery cable unbolted from the battery post, put 1 meter lead on the battery post and the other lead on the disconnected cable. If there is any significant parasitic load you will get a reading of 12 volts or so. If you have a current scale on the meter you can measure the current draw between the same 2 points. If you do have a current draw you'll need to download a wiring diagram and start isolating circuits by removing fuses, disconnecting wires etc. until the current draw goes away. If you have a sensitive digital voltmeter you might see some sporadic voltage reading between the battery post and cable due to wire insulation leakage or dirt and grease buildup at some connection point. If the current draw is 100 milliamps or higher it could drain the battery eventually.

Bob B.

/ Wiring problem Cub Cadet SLT 1553
Bob, thanks for all your help. It ended up being a bad battery. I got it started finally long enough to stay running and was getting a reading between 6-8 volts. I turned in the pto and the battery could not take the load. Thus being a new battery back and they did a load test and battery was no good. Again thanks so much for your help and trouble shooting procedures.

JIMA