GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position #1  

mowcub

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2550
Anyone ever see this problem? My GT2550 has been pretty reliable for 250 hrs and 5 years, but the PTO has begun to stay engaged all the time. It's not an electrical issue. If I leave it disengaged the blades will stop in high grass, but any other time they are turning. At least I can mow, but it's a little dangerous and aggravating if I am doing anything other than mowing. Thinking about taking it off to see if there is something I can free up. Any ideas? A new one is just over $200 if I have to get a new one.

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position #2  
I don't have a manual or specs for the 2550 but I assume that you have an electric PTO. It sounds like the clutch is probably dragging when not engaged. Generally there should be about .020 inch clearance between the clutch disk and magnet when disengaged. You should be able to insert a .020 inch feeler gauge between the clutch plate and magnet at three points around the clutch with just a slight drag. There should be 2 or 3 adjustment screws to increase the gap. Another possibility is if the disk is rusted and binding on the spline.

Bob B.

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position #3  
may also be the sealed bearing within the electric clutch itself going south. to check, remove belt and with engine off/pto disengaged, try rolling the pto outer pulley by hand. should turn smoothly/quietly. if it it turns hard/not at all/rough/noisy, time for either a new bearing or pto clutch.
on some pto's the bearing alone can be replaced - not sure about yours.

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position
I finally had some time to look into the problem. The heat shield has to be removed to look at the PTO pulley. I removed to pulley to get a better look. The outer bearing is seized. The inner bearing is very rough. The outer bearing shows bluing from heat. The clutch pulls in and out, but with the bearing seized, it makes no difference. With some effort, I might be able to take it apart to replace the bearings, but it's pretty much made to be pressed together one time. I'm going to replace it and maybe take the old one apart to repair as a spare.

Heat seems to be the culprit both from the clutch coil and the proximity to the exhaust. The bearings are Polish made and probably cheap. This one has replaceable bearings and claims to be for higher temperature applications.

Cub Cadet PTO Blade Clutch 917 04214 Free Upgraded Bearings | eBay

I don't want to go back OEM if it will only last 250 hrs

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position
Purchased the Extreme brand PTO directly from their website for $20 less than on ebay. It came very well packed and with good instructions including torque values and warnings. Installed it and it works great. Looks to be a much better built assembly than the original. I'll post back in a few years and a couple hundred hours. If you need a PTO, this might be a good alternative to OEM.

/ GT2550 PTO sticks in engaged position #6  
mowcub - just an afterthought... yer engine may be running on the lean side, therefore hotter than usual at the exhaust. might be affecting those pto brgs...?