Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #1  

BizDoc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I'm looking at a new cub zero turn, but also just sold my push mower. When you have a zero turn do you need a push mower any more, or will it just take up garage space. I'm mowing 7 to 8 acres, many trees, some good slopes, The only thing I thought I may need a push mower for is around the house, but I can get pretty close now with my Kubota B3030, but it's too big to get real close, just thought the zero turn would get as close as a push mower since they seem to be all deck.

Thank you.

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #2  
I'm looking at a new cub zero turn, but also just sold my push mower. When you have a zero turn do you need a push mower any more, or will it just take up garage space. I'm mowing 7 to 8 acres, many trees, some good slopes, The only thing I thought I may need a push mower for is around the house, but I can get pretty close now with my Kubota B3030, but it's too big to get real close, just thought the zero turn would get as close as a push mower since they seem to be all deck.

Thank you.

I got my zero turn in 1999 haven't used a push mower since, I can get close enough to most things that I don't use my weedeater much.

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #3  
Japanese gardeners abhor 90^ inside and outside corners, also straight lines (borders), S x S symmetry, etc that us yanks cling to. One reason to embrace this distaste (Feng Shui too?) is ease of mowing around buildings/beds, which can be tweaked to ease that task. Other than ditch mowing I haven't used a walk-behind for a very long time. (decade+ ago, that was)

In the yard I have a dozen or more deciduous trees that the ZT never gets too close to. I circle them (+around fire pits and big decorative rocks, a foot or so out) with 'Gly' and there's nothing to trim. My walk behind string trimmer (22", 6hp, .150" line) doesn't get fired up every year as there isn't much to trim despite the many shade trees on the lawn (~2 ac mowed), and fuel lines on the hand-helds are rotting from age and disuse.

Unless you need something very narrow for a few spots, between tree/shrub rows that haven't filled in yet etc, I'm not sure you'd miss having a pusher. Give yourself a few weeks to see how the ZT gets around. (It may surprise you) This is about mowing efficiency as much as quality & coverage. You may want to adjust a few borders around beds, shrubs, ornamentals to make them easier to mow alongside & you should 'have the gig down' after just a few go-arounds. tog

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #4  
I've got a Kubota ZD28 with a 60" deck and I have never had to use a push mower since. Like they said, the only reason you would need it is if you have a few spots that you can't get the zero turn in.
If I can't get close enough to the house with it then the Stihl weed eater will get it.

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn
Thank you all . Pulled the trigger on a cub cadet z force S 60 Commercial Unit, and no hand mower. I appreciate your responses, they were very helpful.

Last edited:
   / Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #8  
It's been 9 years since I started my push mower. It's been 9 years since I bought my ZTR. ZTR & string trimmer is a good combo.

/ Do you need a push mower if you have a zero turn #9  
I get as close as I can with my ztr. Roundup is my trimmer. But it all depends on your land. At my old property, nothing needed. But the slope and size of the bank of the road ditch around my mailbox and the neighbors across the road is impossible to get with the ztr.

Also if you have any areas that are too narrow.