Z Force Leaf Collection

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #1  

GBHRPS

Bronze Member
Tractor
CC Z Force 48
Gentlemen,

Before fall I want to add a leaf collection system to the zero turn. I would prefer a belt powered blower from the mower deck, similar to the John Deere units of the same size. I have no need for the bagger unit on the rear of the tractor, as I'm going to prefab my tow behind trailer as a collection /dump box.

The John Deere Power Flow system is readily available and there are more than a few units out there. Cub Cadet blower powered systems appear to be almost non existent. What gives? I'm looking for advice from anyone who has a zero turn outfitted for leaf collection, regardless of whether they have the bagger system or not.

Gene

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #2  
I have a ZForce 50 and have a cyclone rake for fall clean up, have had this setup for 8 years. It's a bit of a learning curve steering due to the extended length but after a little practice its no problem. What I like about it is to pull two pins to disconnect and using no power from the mower and dumping is easy. My 2 cents.

/ Z Force Leaf Collection
coolreinfarm,

Thanks for the followup! I've looked at the Cyclone Rake several times and have been most impressed, but with my limited storage space for another toy, the fact that it'd get used maybe 6 hours a year, and the $1700 layout by the time I'd get it, it can't be justified.

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #4  
I know its a lot of money but it can be transferred to a new machine when the need arises, the bagger system applies to that mower alone. The cyclone rake does fold up and takes up little room.

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #5  
I know its a lot of money but it can be transferred to a new machine when the need arises, the bagger system applies to that mower alone. The cyclone rake does fold up and takes up little room.

Which brand has a 1 year return policy if you don't like it?

I know one of the pull behinds is made by agri fab and has a nice self powered vacuum unit on it and on sale they run $999.99 pretty regularly. Has a zero turn kit option too as well as extended hose for extra cleanup needs.

Agri-Fab Mow - N - Vac at Blain's Farm & Fleet

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #6  
Cyclone Rake had a one year return policy have not checked the website in a while. I didn't like the single point leaf vacs on a zero turn too hard to back up, the two point hitch is better.

Gentlemen,

I lucked out and was able to buy two John Deere Power Flow units, one for a 54 inch deck and another for a 62 inch deck. Both are in great working order. As well, I got one complete discharge chute and about 1/3 of the rear bagger unit for the same.

After tearing both blower units apart, I cleaned and relubed the fan bearings, and carefully removed every bolt from the unit, cleaned the threads and put anti seize on them before reassembly. (These blower units have a plastic shell with blind nuts in the plastic that the fan bearing plate and mounting assembly bolt to. Seized bolts would only break free from the plastic and make reassembly impossible.)

I sourced a longer deck blade bearing bolt and another pulley for the deck blades from a bearing supply house for $30. (Tried Cub Cadet but the total price was almost $150 for the proper bolt and pulley for my deck.) That allowed me to stack two pulleys on the deck blade closest to the discharge chute, the lower for driving the deck blade, the upper to drive the fan of the power Flow unit.

Looking at JD Power Flow unit Manuals online, I made up the brackets needed to mount the Power Flow unit to my Z Force 48, and tracked down a belt long enough to power the unit from the additional pulley.

Then I sourced 10 feet of 7 inch hose (NOT CHEAP!) to fix to the end of the discharge chute and go to my collection trailer.

The last job was to make up plywood sides, back and top to add to my existing tow behind garden trailer, all held together with bungee cords, and carriage bolts and wing nuts. I added a large screen section to the top to allow the compressed air to escape, and then added a hitch to the Z Force to pull the trailer around.

The collection box rear door comes completely off with the bungee cord removal, and the entire box comes apart easily to stack up for seasonal storage without taking up any room. Once full of leaves, remove the back door and rake the leaf mulch out with a rake.

Leaves are just starting to fall here in spits and spurts, and the first test run has worked like a charm. Total cost is about $400 as I sold the 2nd fan unit to a neighbour. It took a month or so to search on Kijiji/CraigsList to find the fan units, but they are out there.

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #8  
GBHRPS - Nice job. Just curious.. how much noise when you wind the whole rig up to full RPM?

rceb,

After reading your post I had to think about it for a moment or two ..... and I'd have to say that it really doesn't add any more noise to the system at all. With a twin engine out back and the three deck blades spinning, the addition of just a rotating fan doesn't add much to the equation.

On top of that, I have a set of ear protection muffs that have a built in AM/FM radio that I wear whenever I'm running powered equipment, so its a non issue.

The next time I have the entire unit out, I'll take a picture or two and post back into this thread, for those who might be interested.

/ Z Force Leaf Collection #10  
Cool.