Transmission oil ?

/ Transmission oil ? #1  

duckhunter27

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT 335
Hi guys I have tried searching but no luck can anyone tell me what type of oil goes in the hydrostat transmissions? I have zforce 48 inch zero turn. I have one lever that is acting weird compared to the other
The fluid is just barely at the bottom of the tank don't even cover bottom.

/ Transmission oil ? #2  
The recommended fluid is Drive System Plus synthetic which runs $45/gal or so. Many of us have been using 20W50 motor oil with no problems. I buy Mobil 1 synthetic 20W50 at Walmart for $26 for a 5-quart jug. I've been using it in my 3235 for several years after it developed a leak.

Bob B.

/ Transmission oil ? #3  
The recommended fluid is Drive System Plus synthetic which runs $45/gal or so. Many of us have been using 20W50 motor oil with no problems. I buy Mobil 1 synthetic 20W50 at Walmart for $26 for a 5-quart jug. I've been using it in my 3235 for several years after it developed a leak.

Bob B.

Bob is spot on go with Mobil !
Tracter

/ Transmission oil ?
Thanks guys I will try Mobil 1 synthetic 20w 50 hope it fixes my problem. Can I just add some or do I have to change it all ?

/ Transmission oil ? #5  
personally, would try to drain/refill fresh. you want all the old broken down oil outta there along with any sediment or fine particles that can trash yer pumps/motors. Would also want to know where all that old fluid went to.. Leak somewhere?? ditto on the mobil 20-50 syn oil...

/ Transmission oil ? #6  
Hi guys I have tried searching but no luck can anyone tell me what type of oil goes in the hydrostat transmissions? I have zforce 48 inch zero turn. I have one lever that is acting weird compared to the other
The fluid is just barely at the bottom of the tank don't even cover bottom.

I service and rebuild these transmissions. If you dig deep enough you will find that most of the makers of these hydro trannys recommend 5w-50 synthetic motor oil. The Mobil 5w-50 is excellent. 5w-50 can be difficult to get locally. I order it by the case through Amazon.

Absolutely drain the oil. It is commonly recommended, for non-filtered systems, that the oil be changed every 100 hours. Check your specs. You will see significant particulate accumulations in 100 hours. These pumps and motors are sensitive to wear. Get the old oil out and your trannys will last much longer. They are much too expensive to allow premature wear.

Sadly, on the lower end trannys, the manufacturers of the machines they go on often spec 10w-30 standard motor oil. The tranny will run just fine on this but the wear rate is horrendous.

The Cub Z's use a lower end tranny (like most all residential mowers). It's likely a 2100 Hyrdro gear model or that family. A 2200 model is slightly better and may be on your mower. That would be a nice step up. Still these are not commercial quality and can wear out in less than 500 hours if your don't change the oil. Don't be fooled by lawn tractor mechanics that tell you your transmission is sealed and is not serviceable. Even the cheapest tranny out there can have the oil drained and replaced. On many of these models you have to remove the tranny in order to drain and refill it. Most all of them are serviceable and can be rebuilt; even the famously Not Serviceable John Deere lawn tractors. These trannys are expensive to repair (parts 200-500) even more expensive to replace (500-1200); but they are not throw away items. They can be repaired.

Now if you have the commercial models with the Hydro 3100 or larger you have an excellent transmission. Even the 2800 is fairly decent.

Last edited:
   / Transmission oil ?
Hi guys thanks for all the advice. I finally got to my dealer which wasn't all that much help they push to sell them not help you with questions. But they did give me a sheet on my Z-Force 48 says I have Dual Hydro-Gear ZT2800 w/oil reservoir and filters. It also says to use Rotella Triple plus 15w/40. I bought a quart and added some to reservoir seems to be better now. this make since to anyone? should I drain and refill with mobile 5w-50 synthetic or refill with rotella 15w- 40 dealer says at 100 hours change it otherwise just top it off with rotella 15w-40 which I did for now. I can see no sign of a leak will watch alot closer now. Thanks

/ Transmission oil ? #8  
Rotella Triple plus 15w/40 should be just fine. It is a heavy duty conventional oil often used in diesel engines so it ought to perform well. If you run your machine in high heat or extreme cold you might consider changing to the 5w/50, otherwise just go with the Rotella. The zt2800 is the top residential HydroGear tranny. Some versions of this model even have commercial elements of the 3100. It should serve you well for at least 1000 hours. With regular oil and filter changes (every 100 hours) and no driving it like it was a four wheeled jeep you might even get 1500 hours out of it.

/ Transmission oil ? #9  
I have the same Zforce with the same 2800 trans i change the oil and filters at 200 hrs and used rotella 15-40 oil, have 400 hrs on it now with no problems. There is a note in the operators manual showing 300 hrs for oil and filter change, I thought that was too long. If you search hydrogear zt2800 you will find a complete manual in pdf for service and maintenance.

/ Transmission oil ? #10  
I have been using Mobil Delvac 1300, 15W/40 in both the engine and transmission, of my cheap little 2005, LT1050, for years now. Change it every fall, which is just about a 100 hour interval. Clock now stands at 1,060.3 hours.....not bad for a hyrdostatic trannny that has no external, serviceable filter. Mower still running fine.....no seeps, or leaks anywhere. Not much flat ground here either, mostly up and down.

Spend $45 a gallon for some super lube.....not me. I'm going to stick with Delvac 15W/40, and see if I can make it to 1500 hours. Oh, it's $12.47 a gallon at walleyworld. Recently NAPA had it sale priced at $11.99.