OIL DRAIN ON lt1050

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #1  

jim44

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5100 Cub Cadet LGTX 1050
I'm sure this same oil drain feature is present on many lawn tractors. I think they call it "turn and pull" or some such. In any case, to drain the oil, you have to open a little snap cap on the thing, then stick the short piece of rubber tubing on, and then turn the thing and pull, which is supposed to open the oil drain. Only thing is, it doesn't work. The rubber tubing just turns on the fitting, and if you can get it to turn, it won't pull out. Last time I dealt with this, I noticed that the whole fitting was unscrewing from the motor, which was fine except it would have been preferable to have been able to drain the oil first. So I went ahead and unscrewed it. Really makes a mess just coming out of the drain uncontrolled.

Just wondering if anybody else has such an experience, or if it is just me. This, incidentally was my third go-round with this feature. I replaced the whole thing with a 6" 3/8 pipe nipple, a 90, and then a 2" nipple and a cap. Now, all I have to do is unscrew the cap, and drain the oil in a perfectly sane and easy way, no muss no, fuss, no trouble.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #2  
When I had one it worked for me. But I didn't keep the mower long, so not sure how long it would have lasted.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #3  
My Cub RZT50 had one of those, after winter a year ago I went to start it up - checked the oil, there WASN'T ANY... that not-so-clever device had leaked just enough that, over 6 months or so, nearly all the oil had gone.

Mine's a standard pipe thread, so I replaced it with a nipple and cap. I'd rather have a small mess to clean up after oil change than a $1200 engine to replace.

After several other "work-arounds", the Kawasaki twin is about the only thing left that I'm happy with. Next ZTR I'll prob'ly be making PAYMENTS on so I can USE it instead of FIXING it :rolleyes:... Steve

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #4  
Lets just stay there has been more than one of those break while the mower was in operation, and destroyed the engine.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #5  
I wouldn't doubt that - but it's not gonna be mine :=)

(Or hopefully anyone else's if they read this thread)...Steve

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #6  
Mine has the 3/8NPT x 4" pipe nipple/cap installed by the original owner. Works for me.

- Jay

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #7  
Maybe I've just been lucky but my 2004 3235 has that type of drain and I've never had a problem in almost 600 hours. My tubing fits quite snug and I'm able to turn the valve and pull via the tubing. Also hard to believe I still have the factory battery, 11 years old last month. I started putting a Battery Tender on it during the winter months the past three winters but never had a problem starting in the spring.

Bob B.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #8  
Yep, one of ths stupidest ideas of all time. IF you can undo yours and remove it, just take it to your favorite auto parts store, have them make you a small 6" or 8" or so hydraulic hose of that thread size. Get a little ball valve or use a hose cap, for the end, install the thing, and you've improved that stupidity immensely.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050
Glad to know it's not just me. I don't understand how this system has survived as long as it has. Surely they have had many complaints or comments about it over the years.

/ OIL DRAIN ON lt1050 #10  
Mine has the 3/8NPT x 4" pipe nipple/cap installed by the original owner. Works for me.

- Jay

I did the same on my lt1045. First time I changed the oil in it, it hung open and wouldn't seal. $3 at the hardware store and problem solved.