Drain Plug Engineers

/ Drain Plug Engineers #1  

rau2009sch

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2550
Looks like somebody must have finally put a big dope-slap up alongside the head of the Drain Plug Engineers. [Do you read these posts, MTD?] I saw at least one new Cub Cadet finally has abandoned that stupid yellow impossible drain plug, and put on a drain hose that leads over to a place you can catch the oil. Don't know how well it works, don't know if a person could back-fit one, but it can't be any worse.

/ Drain Plug Engineers #2  
yup, dumped that "toy" a few yrs back and replaced with a drain hose like you describe... works like a charm and does not cause the sloppy mess to clean up when doing an oil change. Onliest prob I had was coming up with with the right wrench for tightening the hose installation - gets a little cramped down in there.

/ Drain Plug Engineers #4  
The plastic one worked great for the first time, then wouldn't open again.

I unscrewed it and took it to Lowes. I matched the threads with a 4 inch 'nipple', (it's a standard pipe tap, nothing exotic), added the elbow and cap and screwed it in.

No more problems and it drains into whatever I put under it.

Web%20cub%20drain.jpg

/ Drain Plug Engineers #5  
I hate engineers, so it pains me to stick up for them.

I do know a lot of them, and, I'm related to some of them. So, I do know how this works.

The engineers would gladly make it easy for you to drain the oil. And, in fact they probably often do.

But, they are given a budget. And, when they hit it, which they always do, there is no money for any frills.

The budget people come along and cut things, to get to get within that budget. Something like a fancy oil drain, is non essential. So, it's real easy to eliminate.

Fortunately, it is also easy to add yourself.

/ Drain Plug Engineers #6  
They are pricey but I bought for three machines because of the convenience.

Drainzit = $25 approx.

Attachments

• drainzit.jpg
    drainzit.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 321
   / Drain Plug Engineers #7  
Darwin awards are still given.

"Adams' Law

If something can't possibly go wrong, it will. The difference between something that might go wrong and something that can't go wrong is that, when something that can't go wrong goes wrong, it's impossible to find or to fix."

-Quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

/ Drain Plug Engineers #8  
My solution in post #4 cost about $4.

/ Drain Plug Engineers #9  
My new Enduro XT3 GSX has a flexible rubber hose with a pipe plug threaded into the end for an oil drain. I used it once for the 5 hour break-in oil change and it worked well. I never really had a problem with my 3235 drain which had removable plastic hose but the shutoff valve which had to be depressed and rotated to close and never seemed too secure. OTOH it never leaked in the 11 years I had it.

Bob B.