How to test fuel level sensor on 3206?

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #1  

Joelk

Tractor
Cub Cadet 3165(for Parts) 3100, 3206, 3240, 3200 with Snowblower, 5252 with FEL and 60" MMM
I just got a 3206 that seems to be in pretty good shape.

I have done a good bit of disassembly and cleaning and noticed that someone has removed the bulb to the low fuel gauge.

I pulled the tank to clean out that area and thought before I put it back together that I would test the fuel sensor.

I checked for resistance and it shows continuity with the float up or down.

How would I determine it it is functioning properly before I install it back in the tank and reassemble the tractor?

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #2  
The ohms should be from around 0 to 240 or 270 if I remember right.

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #3  
Those fuel sensors are failure prone. I had my 3235 for 11 years and replaced the original sensor when the low fuel light stayed on all the time and then the new one failed several years later. It should show continuity when upright and open when inverted. If I remember a replacement ran about $27.

Bob B.

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #4  
Good luck on your 3206. I bought a 3235 last summer and my fuel sensor does not work either. I intended to repair it this winter but it didn't happen. Can you change the sensor by removing the seat assembly or do you have to remove the rear fenders?

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #5  
I replaced the sensor on my 3235 by removing the seat. Make sure the fuel level is low enough before pulling out the sensor. There is a rubber grommet in the tank opening that should also be replaced. You may have to wiggle the sensor around a bit to get it through the frame opening under the seat. Mine only lasted a few years before failing again. I notice that they eliminated the sensor on my new Enduro GSX.

Bob B.

/ How to test fuel level sensor on 3206? #6  
Bob, thanks for the reply. I have lived without a fuel gage on my 2550 for ten years and thought it would be nice to have one. Thanks again.